08 Oct Faith And WorksRooted – Part 2
Faith And Works | Rooted – Part 2
October 7 & 8, 2017 | Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
Faith And Works
Rooted – Part 2
October 7th & 8th, 2017
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
3 Observations From James About Faith:
- An Essential Element of Faith is Commitment.
- The Natural By-Product Of Faith Is Action.
- Without Good Works, Faith Doesn’t Do Any Good.
“What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone?” James 2:14
- I Am Saved For Good Works Not By Good Works.
- Make Time For Opportunities.
“Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, and you say, ‘Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well’—but then you don’t give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do? So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.” James 2:15-17
- Make My Faith Visible.
“Now someone may argue, ‘Some people have faith; others have good deeds.’ But I say, ‘How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.’ You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. How foolish! Can’t you see that faith without good deeds is useless?” James 2:18-20
- Make My Faith Authentic.
“Don’t you remember that our ancestor Abraham was shown to be right with God by his actions when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see, his faith and his actions worked together. His actions made his faith complete.” James 2:21-22
“‘…Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith.’ He was even called the friend of God. So you see, we are shown to be right with God by what we do, not by faith alone. Rahab the prostitute is another example. She was shown to be right with God by her actions when she hid those messengers and sent them safely away by a different road. Just as the body is dead without breath, so also faith is dead without good works.” James 2:23-26
Next Step: _____I will put my faith into action by serving on an Alive Church team.
Life Group Questions:
- Is it easier or harder to serve the people closest to you? Why or why not?
- Read James 2:15-17 again. What are some of the opportunities you have had to live out your faith? Did you take them?
- What are some of the ways our faith can be seen as inauthentic by our culture?
- In what ways is your faith visible?
- What are some simple ways that we can start to visibly live out our faith?
- Read Galatians 5:13. Are you living in the type of freedom the writer is talking about here? How are you using it?