18 Mar The Sound of Wringing Out a TowelThe Sound of Grace – Part 3
March 17 and 18, 2018 | Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
The Sound of Wring Out a Towel
The Sound of Grace – Part 3
March 17 & 18, 2018
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
“For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Matthew 20:28
- Following Jesus Means Serving Others.
“After washing their feet, he put on his robe again and sat down and asked, ‘Do you understand what I was doing? You call me “Teacher” and “Lord,” and you are right, because that’s what I am. And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet.'” John 13:12-14
- Serving Others Means Serving Somewhere.
“‘(Jesus) I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you.'” John 13:1
a. Just Do Something.
“‘…why didn’t you deposit my money in the bank? At least I could have gotten some interest on it…Now throw this useless servant into outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'” Matthew 25:27-30
b. If Somethings Burning, Grab A Fire Extinguisher.
“…whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith.” Galatians 6:10
- While Serving Somewhere, You Will Discover Your Sweet Spot.
“‘(Jesus) I tell you the truth, slaves are not greater than their master. Nor is the messenger more important than the one who sends the message.'” John 13:16
a. Follow Your Successes, Not Your Passions.
“A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other.” 1 Corinthians 12:7
b. Don’t Whine Or Compare.
“‘(Jesus) Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven.'” Matthew 6:1
The Secret: “‘(Jesus) Now that you know these things, God will bless you for doing them.” John 13:17
Next Step: _____ I will begin serving on a team at Alive Church.
_____ I will continue serving on a team at Alive Church.
Life Group Discussion
- Looking back at your notes from this weekend’s message, was there a specific verse or point that particularly challenged, changed or expanded your understanding of what it means to serve others?
- Hobbies, exercise, time with family and friends, and time for yourself are part of a healthy life. How can you serve others and keep everything else in balance?
- What is your favorite way to serve? Are you doing it? Why or why not?
- This Weekend Pastor Jeff focused on when Jesus served His disciples by washing their feet. Let’s look at another example of service in the life of a biblical character commonly known as the Good Samaritan. Read the account in Luke 10:30-36. What sacrifices was this man willing to take in order to meet the needs of the man on the road? What kind of sacrifice comes most naturally to you? Which would be the most challenging?
- How does Peter categorize our gifts and abilities in 1 Peter 4:10-11 and what are their purposes? Is there one category you tend to lean toward more than the others?
- Can you think of any specific examples of using a spiritual gift to “serve others” and/or to “bring glory to God through Jesus Christ”?
Taking It Home:
- What action will you take this week to accept the Next Step challenge to serve?