Due to copyright restrictions, we are unable to archive the weekend talk. Join us live during our daily services throughout our At The Movies: Home Edition series.
June 20-21, 2020
At The Movies: Home Edition
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
“’(Jesus)… So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.’” John 13:34-35 (p.823)
- I Show Love Through My Actions.
- Be Present.
“Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with each other…” Romans 12:15-16 (p.866)
- Have Fun.
“So I recommend having fun, because there is nothing better for people in this world than to eat, drink, and enjoy life. That way they will experience some happiness along with all the hard work God gives them under the sun.” Ecclesiastes 8:15 (p.509)
- Fight for your relationships.
“We know what real love is because Jesus gave up his life for us. So we also ought to give up our lives for our brothers and sisters…let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions. Our actions will show that we belong to the truth…” 1 John 3:16, 18 (p.942)
Next Step: I will show my love through my actions by being present, having fun together, and fighting for my relationships.
Discussion Guide from the Weekend Talk
From the Weekend Talk of June 20-21, 2020
At The Movies: Home Edition – Part 1: Healthy Relationships
Use this Discussion Guide to dig deeper into the principles from the weekend talk. Our Life Groups will use them, but we encourage you to discuss them with your family, or over the phone or online with friends.
Yes, our Life Groups continue to meet, ONLINE! Life Groups use these questions to go deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Please let us know if you would like to join a group. We are also looking for opportunities to begin NEW ONLINE Groups.
- How would you describe your relationships growing up? Healthy or unhealthy? Why?
- Describe a relationship that you have had in the past that you would say was very healthy.
- How important is it for you personally to have healthy relationships? Is it something you think about? Work at?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk Notes.
- This week Pastors Jeff Love, Cody Kiwaczyk, and Sheri Marsden highlighted One Thing to remember from this Talk: “I Show Love Through My Actions.”
- Read 1 Corinthians 13 (p.878*)
- What are the positive expressions of love that Paul list in 1 Corinthians 13?
- What are the verbs that he wrote in 1 Corinthians 13 that indicate how love does not behave?
- What do you think is needed in a person’s life to live and behave with love the way Paul wrote about it in 1 Corinthians 13? Read Galatians 5:22-23 (p.893*)
- Jeff and Steve discussed Three Actions to show my love: Be present, have fun together, and to fight for your relationships. Read John 13:34-35 and then discuss the 3 actions from the teaching. Which one speaks to you the most and why? What does It look like in your life?
- As a group, come up with at least 10 of your own “love Is” statements be sure that each statement describes a specific act. For instance, “Love is helping” is not acceptable; “Love is helping a neighbor clean a driveway on a hot, sweltering summer day” is. Your goal as a group is to stay away from abstractions, to give very specific descriptions of actions through which you can show love.
- Take another look at Jesus’ words in John 13:34-35
- Now read a few of the following verses: Exodus 20:12-17; Leviticus 19:18,33-34; Deuteronomy 5:16-21; 22:1-4; Matthew 5:38-48; 7:12; 23:36-40; Luke 10:25-37
- As you can see the command to “love one another” Is not a new commandment, It was mandated throughout all of scripture. What about Jesus’s commandment in John 13:34-35 makes It a new commandment? Read 1 John 3:16-18. (p. 942)
My Next Step: ____ I will show my love through my actions by being present, having fun together, and fighting for my relationships.
- How have you been prompted by God’s Spirit to live this out so far this week? What are the ways He is leading you to live it out in the future?
- Read the daily reading from this weeks Life Transformation Reading plan as a group: (p. A-52)
- Answer the 3 Life Transformation Questions at the question at the bottom of page A 53.
- Pray for yourself and others in your group to be able to express the love of Jesus to everyone you come in contact with.
This weekend we continue our Talk Series: At The Movies: Home Edition. We will be looking at the importance and power of our Identity in Christ. The movie that we are using for our illustrations was a blockbuster hit with all ages. We will look at the life of one character, in particular, that is based on a common tool that we all use every day of our lives!
We continue to be Alive Church Online through our various channels and platforms: alivechurch.com; Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Roku, and Apple TV. Invite your friends! Share our posts! Let’s get more and more people connected through Alive Church Online!
All of these notes are also in our App. To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE. Let us know if you’d like to have one.