Due to copyright restrictions, we are unable to archive the weekend talk. Join us live during our daily services throughout our At The Movies: Home Edition series.
Strength and Wisdom
At The Movies: Home Edition – Part 5
July 18-19, 2020
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love, Kathy Love, Kristi Love
“The glory of the young is their strength; the gray hair of experience is the splendor of the old.” Proverbs 20:29 (p.495)
- God Designed Strength And Wisdom To Work Together.
“…May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me.” John 17:23 (p.825)
- Guard against pride.
“…Don’t let the wise boast in their wisdom, or the powerful boast in their power…” Jeremiah 9:23 (p.581)
“…God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” 1 Peter 5:5 (p.937)
- Respect each generation.
“Never speak harshly to an older man, but appeal to him respectfully as you would to your own father. Talk to younger men as you would to your own brothers. Treat older women as you would your mother, and treat younger women with all purity as you would your own sisters.” 1 Timothy 5:1-2 (p.912)
- Connect with all generations.
“Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose. Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. ” Philippians 2:2-5 (p.900)
Next Step: ___Find someone from another generation and talk to them about how you can gain wisdom or strength from them.
Discussion Guide from the Weekend Talk
From the Weekend Talk of July 18-19, 2020
At The Movies: Home Edition – Part 5: Strength and Wisdom
Use this Discussion Guide to dig deeper into the principles from the weekend talk. Our Life Groups use them, but we encourage you to discuss them with your family, or over the phone or online with friends.
Yes, our Life Groups continue to meet, ONLINE! Life Groups use these questions to go deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Please let us know if you would like to join a group. We are also looking for opportunities to begin NEW ONLINE Groups.
- When you think about “generations” what comes to mind?
- Who has influenced you? Is/was it someone from a different generation than yours?
- How have you benefitted from other generations, either younger or older?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk Notes.
- This week Pastor Jeff Love, Kathy Love, and Kristi Love highlighted One Thing to remember from this Talk: “God Designed Strength And Wisdom To Work Together.”
- Read Proverbs 20:29 (p.495*) and John 17:20-24 (p.825*)
- What is wisdom? How is it different from knowledge?
- Why is Jesus’ prayer for unity important to our understanding of the value of generations?
- For whom was Jesus praying in John 17?
- Look for how many times Jesus prayed for our unity. What does Jesus describe as the perfect example of unity?
- The Loves discussed Three Guidelines to embracing the wisdom of older generations and the strength of younger generations.
- Guard Against Pride. (Jeremiah 9:23-24 (p.580*) and 1 Peter 5:-5-6 (p.937*))
- Have you ever been guilty of a prideful attitude? Were you aware of it when you had it? If that situation came up again how would you handle it differently?
- How do you guard against pride?
- How do you practice humility in practical ways?
- Respect Each Generation. (1 Timothy 5:1-2 (p.912*))
- How do you practice active respect?
- Paul uses relationships with fathers and mothers and brothers and sisters as examples of how to treat older generations. What if you did not have a healthy relationship with your parents or siblings? How would you find examples to follow? Where would you look?
- Connect With All Generations. (Philippians 2:2-5 (p.900*))
- What descriptors does Paul use to encourage the RIGHT way to approach the generations—or any relationship, for that matter?
- What can you do to connect with other generations?
- Another way the Bible speaks about generations is regarding the need to keep the Word of God alive throughout the generations. Read some of the following passages and talk about value of remembering the Lord from “generation to generation.”
- Exodus 3:15 (p.45*)
- Exodus 12:14 (p.52*)
- Deuteronomy 6:4-9 (p.144*)
- Psalms 78:1-4 (p.448*)
My Next Step: ____ Find someone from another generation and talk to them about how you can gain wisdom or strength from them.
- Who do you have in mind?
- If you can’t think of anyone, look for someone as you ask God to help you.
- Pray for yourself and others in your group for God to help you step out and find people from other generations from whom you can gain strength and/or wisdom.
This weekend we wrap up our Talk Series: At The Movies: Home Edition. This week we lean into a family movie that will help us better understand the WHY of where God leads us.
We continue to be Alive Church Online through our various channels and platforms: alivechurch.com; Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Roku, and Apple TV. Invite your friends! Share our posts! Let’s get more and more people connected through Alive Church Online! All of these notes are also in our App. To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE. Let us know if you’d like to have one.