Due to copyright restrictions, we are unable to post the messages for this series. Join us on campus or at alivechurch.com/online to watch live during any of our services.
When Life Is Sad
At The Movies – Part 5
July 13-14, 2019
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
“The Lord is close to the brokenhearted.” Psalm 34:18a
- When Life Is Sad, God Is Good
“For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever!” 2 Corinthians 4:17
- Celebrate God’s presence
“But the Lord stood with me…” 2 Timothy 4:17a
“We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God.” 2 Corinthians 4:8-9
- Cling to God’s strength
“But the Lord…gave me strength…” 2 Timothy 4:17b
“’(Jesus) …Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.’” Matthew 11:28
- Choose God’s purpose
“But the Lord stood with me and gave me strength so that I might preach the Good News in its entirety for all the Gentiles to hear.” 2 Timothy 4:17
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.” Hebrews 12:1
My Next Step: I’m choosing to prayerfully look for the goodness of God in the midst of sadness.
- What are some of the good things happening in your life right now? Thank God for them.
- What are some sad things in your life that you can bring to God? Ask God to help you through these sad things.
- Why do you think Carl—in the movie—had more joy in his life after he stopped isolating himself from other people?
- Can you think of someone in your life who is sad? How could you and others in your life help that person?”