How Can This Be?
Broken Halos – Part 1
November 30-December 1, 2019
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
“This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.” Hebrews 4:15-16 (p.922)
- God Chooses Ordinary People To Do Extraordinary Things.
- Grow in grace.
“God sent the angel Gabriel…to a virgin named Mary. She was engaged to be married to a man named Joseph…(he) said, ‘Greetings, favored woman! The Lord is with you!’” Luke 1:26-28 (p.779)
“So we praise God for the glorious grace he has poured out on us who belong to his dear Son.” Ephesians 1:6 (p.895)
- Pray for power.
“Confused and disturbed, Mary tried to think what the angel could mean. ‘Don’t be afraid, Mary,’ the angel told her, ‘for you have found favor with God! You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you will name him Jesus. He will be very great and will be called the Son of the Most High.’” Luke 1:29-32 (p.779)
“For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7 (p.914)
- Focus on faith.
“Mary asked the angel, ‘But how can this happen? I am a virgin.’ The angel replied, ‘The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the baby to be born will be holy, and he will be called the Son of God…For nothing is impossible with God.’ Mary responded, ‘I am the Lord’s servant. May everything you have said about me come true.’” Luke 1:34-38 (p.779)
“The father instantly cried out, ‘I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!’” Mark 9:24 (p.769)
Next Step: I’m asking God to help me to this week.
Life Groups Study Questions
Taking the Talk to Another Level
From the Weekend Talk of November 30-December 1, 2019
Broken Halos, Week 1: How Can This Be?
Life Groups use these questions to dig deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Find out more about Life Groups at the Info Center in the lobby or go to alivechurch.com/groups.
Car Questions/Conversation Starters
- What was your first car? Or can you remember a family car that was your favorite?
- With the Christmas season upon us, what are your plans this year?
- What is your favorite Christmas memory, and why?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk.
- When you think (or read) about people in the Bible, do you ever have a hard time picturing them as real people – like us today – and do you have a hard time putting yourself in their shoes? If so, why is it so hard to relate?
- Read Hebrews 4:15-16. What do you think it means that Jesus (our high Priest) “understands our weaknesses”?
- Read Luke 1:26-38. How do you normally picture Mary and Joseph? If you were to put yourself in the shoes of Mary and Joseph at this time, what do you think you’d be feeling and experiencing? What do you think you would have done – if you were them?
- Have you experienced a season of your life where you felt like God was leading you to do something crazy or impossible? If so, what was it and how did you see God move in that situation?
- Pastor Jeff defined faith as, “believing that God is who He says that He is and can and will do what He promised to do”. What are you currently facing in life that’s causing you to question your faith in God? What’s holding you back from following Him in this situation?
- Pastor Jeff said, “There comes a time when everybody will sit in their driveway before they open he door, go inside and say (or do) something that will change their life forever.” Knowing this, what potential scenario comes to mind for you and what emotions are you feeling or thinking about this? What do you need from God in order to take a step in faith moving forward?
The Christmas season is a difficult time to stay focused and connected to God, but try to block out at least 10-15 minutes each day dedicated to some quiet time with Him.
As you do this, spend some time reading the beginning of the Christmas Story in Luke 1:26-38 (or one of your favorite Bible stories) and challenge yourself to see the people in those stories as real, imperfect human beings – just like everybody else.
Taking It Home: Next Step
- My Next Step: I am asking God to help me to (Grow in grace/pray for power/focus on faith) this week.
- Pray now for one another, the Church, and Alive Church.
- (Note: Have you walked the new Prayer Path at the church? Check it out!)
We will continue our Series, “Broken Halos,” as we focus on how God uses ordinary people to do extraordinary things.
Be sure you check out our Vision Runways Christmas Offering brochure for your opportunities to see God transform lives through the people and ministries of Alive Church.
All of these notes are also in our App. To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE in the church lobby.