“God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him.” John 3:17 (p.811)
- Good News! Jesus Is Born.
Series Memory Verse: “…but the angel reassured them. ‘Don’t be afraid!’ he said. ‘I bring you good news that will bring great joy to all people.’” Luke 2:10 (p.781)
- God loved God gave
“He took with him Mary, to whom he was engaged, who was now expecting a child. And while they were there, the time came for her baby to be born.” Luke 2:5–6 (p.781)
“For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son…” John 3:16a (p.811)
- We believe we receive
“She gave birth to her firstborn son. She wrapped him snugly in strips of cloth and laid him in a manger, because there was no lodging available for them.” Luke 2:7 (p.781)
“…so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16b (p.811)
“And this is the way to have eternal life—to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth.” John 17:3 (p.825)
- Let’s celebrate!
Good News: “God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him.” John 3:17 (p.811)
My Next Step This Week: ___ I will read through the Christmas story in the Bible and ask God to reveal the meaning of Jesus’ birth for me personally.
Discussion/Groups Guide: Good News – Part 3 Christmas Eve
Life Groups use this guide in their discussion and study of the Weekend Talk. Use this also as a discussion guide with your family and friends.
- What is the best news you have ever received?
- When did the Christmas Story truly become real for you?
- Have you ever given a gift that was obviously not appreciated, or even discarded? Have you ever received one that you didn’t like and didn’t receive with grace?
Looking back at your Weekend Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out to you, challenged you, or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and Bible verses from the Talk Notes.
Our One Thing: Good News! Jesus Is Born.
- What are some Christmas traditions you have observed through the years?
Series Memory Verse: Luke 2:10 (p.781) “…but the angel reassured them. ‘Don’t be afraid!’ he said. ‘I bring you good news that will bring great joy to all people.’”
One Voice Bible Story Background: Jesus is Born: Luke 2:1-20 (p.781)
- When reading through the Christmas Story did you notice anything this time around that you may have forgotten or missed before?
Application: Jesus is born. That is Good News! But we know that the news doesn’t stop there. Let’s walk through how we can respond.
- God loved God gave. (John 3:16a (p.811))
- How has God’s gift impacted your life?
- We believe we receive. (John 3:16b (p.811);John 17:3 (p.825); John 3:17 (p.811))
- When did you surrender your life to Jesus?
- Who can you share the Good News with?
- Let’s celebrate! (Revelation 19:6b (p.960); Revelation 21:3-4 (p961))
- What is your favorite part of your Christmas celebrations?
- Do you take comfort from Revelation 20:3b-4 or do you struggle a bit to imagine what life is like without death, sadness, or pain?
- How do you celebrate Jesus?
Read the biblical accounts of the Christmas story again. Pray through them. To do that simply read a verse and offer a prayer to God about what you just read. Then go to the next verse. If a verse seems to not really lend itself to prayer, just move on to the next one. This is a wonderfully rich way to pray.
- Luke 2:1-20
- Matthew 1:18-24
My Next Step This Week
___ I will read through the Christmas story in the Bible and ask God to reveal the meaning of Jesus’ birth for me personally.
This Week’s Life Transformation Bible Daily Reading: Who is Jesus? (p.A16-A17).