“‘Don’t be afraid!’ he said. ‘I know you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He isn’t here! He is risen from the dead, just as he said would happen.’” Matthew 28:5b-6a (p.760)
- I Choose Faith Over Fear Because Jesus Is Alive!
Series Memory Verse: “Don’t let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good.” Romans 12:21 (p.866)
- Come and see.
“‘He isn’t here! He is risen from the dead, just as he said would happen. Come, see where his body was lying.’” Matthew 28:6 (p.760)
“He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said.” 1 Corinthians 15:4 (p.879)
- Remember what He told us.
“‘And now, go quickly and tell his disciples that he has risen from the dead, and he is going ahead of you to Galilee. You will see him there. Remember what I have told you.’” Matthew 28:7 (p.760)
“…Jesus took some bread and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and said, ‘This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.’ In the same way, he took the cup of wine after supper, saying…‘Do this in remembrance of me as often as you drink it.’” 1 Corinthians 11:23-25 (p.877)
- Go and tell.
“They were very frightened but also filled with great joy…as they went, Jesus met them and greeted them. And they ran to him, grasped his feet, and worshiped him. Then Jesus said to them, ‘Don’t be afraid! Go tell my brothers to leave for Galilee, and they will see me there.’” Matthew 28:8-10 (p.760)
“For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. So never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord.” 1 Timothy 1:7-8a (p.910)
My Next Step This Week:
_____ Anytime I face fear, I will speak this affirmation out loud: “I Choose Faith Over Fear Because Jesus Is Alive!”
Conquer Week 1 Small Group Guide
One Thing: I Choose Faith Not Fear Because Jesus Is Alive!
Bible Story: Matthew 28:1-10
Memory Verse: “Don’t let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good.” Romans 12:21
// When was a time that you were surprised? Was there ever a time in your life that you were speechless?
Mary Magdalene and Mary had been a witness to Jesus’ crucifixion and had followed where His body had been laid to rest. They were heading to the tomb on Sunday to bring spices and perfumes. Bringing spices was a sign of love, like how we bring flowers to a grave site today. Both Marys wanted to honor and show love to Jesus. They were unable to do this the day before (Saturday) because it was the Sabbath. The Sabbath was a Holy day where you weren’t allowed to work – it was meant to be a day of rest. When they arrived at the tomb, they were met with a surprising and exciting event – Jesus is alive!
// Which point from the angel’s simple plan to choose faith over fear spoke to how you need to deal with fear?
1. Come and See 2. Remember What He Told Us 3. Go and Tell
// Read Matthew 28:4-5. These verses show how we can respond to fear differently.
- What is your natural response to fear?
- How might having fear at that moment have altered Mary Magdalene and Mary’s response?
- In what areas of your life do you need God to help you conquer your fear?
// Read Matthew 28:6.
- What do the angel’s words “come, see” mean for us today?
- How did you learn about Jesus?
- How can you invite others who do not know Jesus to come and see Him?
// Read Matthew 28:7. The words spoken by the angel are, “Remember what I told you.”
- How does fear distract you from remembering the words of Jesus?
- Talk about a time when remembering Jesus’ words helped you choose faith when you were facing fear.
// Read Matthew 28:8-10.
- Who is a person in your life, someone at work, school, or your family, that you feel led to go and tell about Jesus?
- Talk about how you can pray for each other as you invest in these relationships and find the right place and time to share with that person.
// Read 1 Timothy 1:7-8a.
- Are there any fears holding you back from telling others about Jesus? What are they?
- What is something you can share with your group to encourage each other to go and tell others about what Jesus has done for them?
____ Anytime I face fear, I will speak this affirmation out loud: “I Choose Faith Over Fear Because Jesus Is Alive!”
We see the Psalmists write about fear in many different places. The writer was honest about facing fears and how they can knock them down, but the writer also leaned into God and His power to overcome fear. This week, choose a different verse below to read in the morning. Set your mind on God’s power and choosing faith over fear through the writings of the Psalmist each morning. And remember to speak that affirmation over yourself when you’re facing fear.
- Psalm 23
- Psalm 27:1-3
- Psalm 34:4–5
- Psalm 46:1–3
- Psalm 56:3–4
- Psalm 91:4-5