Being Humble in Relationships
Dreams to Destiny – Part 3
September 18-19, 2021
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
“But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” Matthew 23:12 (p.754)
- Humility Precedes Healthy Relationships.
“Pride ends in humiliation, while humility brings honor.” Proverbs 29:23 (p.502)
“Interpreting dreams is God’s business,’ Joseph replied. ‘Go ahead and tell me your dreams. It is beyond my power to do this,’ Joseph replied… ‘But God can tell you what it means and set you at ease.’” Genesis 40:8, 41:16 (p.34)
To live in humility, I must:
- Listen more, talk less.
“When Joseph saw them the next morning, he noticed that they both looked upset.
‘Why do you look so worried today?’ he asked them.” Genesis 40:6–7 (p.34)
“Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.” Philippians 2:3–5 (p.900)
“Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut.” Proverbs 10:19 (p.487)
- Choose faithfulness over comfortable.
“Two full years later, Pharaoh dreamed that he was standing on the bank of the Nile River…Finally, the king’s chief cup-bearer spoke up. “Today I have been reminded of my failure,”…Pharaoh sent for Joseph at once…” Genesis 41:1–14 (p.34)
“If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities.”
Luke 16:10 (p.798)
- Prefer others above myself.
“Therefore, Pharaoh should find an intelligent and wise man and put him in charge of the entire land of Egypt.” Genesis 41:33 (p.34)
Series Key Verse: Genesis 50:20 (p.43)
“You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good.”
My Next Step This Week:
__ I will take this action step this week to live in humility: ________
Weekend Talk of September 18/19, 2021
Dreams to Destiny – Part 3Being Humble in Relationships
Life Groups use this guide in their discussion and study of the Weekend Talk. Use this also as a discussion guide with your family and friends.
Our Fall Groups Semester has begun! But you still have time to try a Group. We can help! Find out more about Groups (in person and online) at alivechurch.com/groups.
- What is the first thing that comes into your head when you hear the word humble?
- Have you ever been told you are too humble? Please share.
- Have you ever given up a promotion in favor of allowing someone else to get it? What were the circumstances?
- Have you ever decided to step down from a position of leadership or influence? Was there something specific that made you decide to do this?
Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out, challenged, or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and Bible verses from the Talk Notes.
This week’s One Thing: The key principle that Pastor Jeff Love emphasized is:
Humility Precedes Healthy Relationships.
- Background: Genesis 40-41 (p.33-35)
- Read Matthew 23:12 (p.754); Proverbs 29:23 (p.502); Genesis 40:1-8, 41:16 (p.34)
- Has pride ever gotten the best of you?
- What differences do you see in Joseph in these Genesis verses from the Joseph we talked about a couple of weeks ago (Genesis 37)? In whom is Joseph trusting?
- How would you have reacted to all the stuff Joseph went through?
Pastor Jeff encouraged us to embrace these principles in order to live in humility:
- Listen more, talk less. (Genesis 40:1-7 (p.34); Philippians 2:3-5 (p.900); Proverbs 10:19 (p.487); James 1:19 (p.930))
- How do these three passages relate?
- What stands out to you? What challenges you?
- Has a failure to listen well ever bitten you in the backside?
- Who have you known who is a good listener? What makes them so?
- What are your “best practices” for being quick to listen and slow to speak?
- Choose faithfulness over comfortable. (Genesis 41:1-14 (p.34); Luke 16:10 (p.798))
- What did Joseph do that demonstrates his faithfulness?
- We are blessed to live in a very comfortable society. But when have you chosen the “uncomfortable” because that was the right thing to do?
- When have you been faithful in “little things” and then seen God trust you with greater responsibilities?
- Prefer others above myself. (Genesis 41:25-33 (p.34); Philippians 2:3 (p.900)
- How did Joseph show he was living this principle?
- How can you live this principle this week? Be specific.
- How do you balance “preferring others” with not being run over like a doormat by people who do not prefer you?
“Digging Deeper” is an opportunity for you to go a bit further with this week’s Talk topic.
For an example of Jesus demonstrating the principle of “Listen more, talk less” take a look at John 8:1-11 (p.877).
- How did Jesus approach the situation?
- What can you apply from this story to how you handle situations when you have the opportunity to choose to talk first or listen first?
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:8 (p.877).
- God’s Spirit can give us insight and the right advice to someone but we need to listen to the person who is speaking to us, pray as they are speaking, and be in tune with God’s Spirit inside us.
- To be in tune with God and His Spirit we need to have healthy spiritual lives and this series is all about healthy relationships: with God, family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, even strangers.
- How will you apply these principles in your life this week?
My Next Step This Week:
___ I will take this action step this week to live in humility: (#1, #2, or #3) ________
Use the link on the app or go to your Connection Card at alivechurch.com/card to indicate you are taking this Next Step so that we can pray for you.
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE. Let us know if you’d like to have one. We also have a Kids and Spanish Edition of the Bible.