Wisdom To Discern
Elephant In The Room – Part 3
November 23-24, 2019
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
“…He gives someone else the ability to discern whether a message is from the Spirit of God or from another spirit…” 1 Corinthians 12:10 (p.877)
Greek: diákrisis – to distinguish, decide, judge.
“Accept other believers who are weak in faith, and don’t argue with them about what they think is right or wrong.” Romans 14:1 (p.867)
- Live To Please God Not Others.
“…Our purpose is to please God, not people.” 1 Thessalonians 2:4 (p.905)
“Perhaps I will stay awhile with you, possibly all winter, and then you can send me on my way to my next destination. This time I don’t want to make just a short visit and then go right on. I want to come and stay awhile, if the Lord will let me. In the meantime, I will be staying here at Ephesus until the Festival of Pentecost. There is a wide-open door for a great work here, although many oppose me.” 1 Corinthians 16:6-9 (p.881)
“Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do! And whatever else you do, develop good judgment.” Proverbs 4:7 (p.483)
“Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” Proverbs 13:20 (p.490)
“If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.” James 1:5 (p.930)
“Finally, when we could stand it no longer, we decided to stay alone in Athens.” 1 Thessalonians 3:1 (p.906)
“The Lord says, ‘I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you.’” Psalm 32:8 (p.427)
Next Step: ____ I am choosing to ____________ today as I live to please God rather than others.
Life Groups Study Questions
Taking the Talk to Another Level
From the Weekend Talk of November 23-24, 2019
Elephant in the Family Room, Week 3: Wisdom to Discern
(Note: Most of our Groups will be taking this week off for a Thanksgiving break.)
Life Groups use these questions to dig deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Find out more about Life Groups at the Info Center in the lobby or go to alivechurch.com/groups.
Car Questions/Conversation Starters
- What is one of your favorite Thanksgiving memories? Traditions?
- What are you most looking forward to this Thanksgiving?
- And the ultimate question! A) Turkey? B) Ham? C) Other?
- Has this series started any conversations in your family or with your friends?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk.
- Is wisdom the same thing as intelligence? Why or why not?
- Pastor Jeff highlighted One Thing to remember from this week’s Talk:
“Live To Please God Not Others.” (1 Thessalonians 2:4 (p.905*),
1 Corinthians 16:6-9 (p.881*), Proverbs 4:7 (p.483*))
- Are you a pleaser? Do you know any pleasers?
- What is the difference between serving others and being a pleaser?
- Jeff spoke of three things to consider in order to please God rather than being a people pleaser. (See your Talk Notes for verses and more details.)
- Who are you “walking” with?
- When have you walked with the wrong people? How did you do during those times?
- Who is the wisest person you personally know? Why do you think that?
- When you need advice, who do you most often ask?
- Does anyone seek advice from you?
- When have you hesitated to make a decision and it cost you?
- When have you rushed a to make a decision that cost you?
Take a look at more from the Bible regarding discernment. What can we learn about the importance of discernment and the pathway to gaining discernment? What else stands out from these passages?
Taking It Home: Next Step
- My Next Step: I am choosing to (Walk/Ask/Decide) today as I live to please God rather than others.
- Pray now for one another, the Church, and Alive Church.
- (Note: Have you walked the new Prayer Path at the church? Check it out!)
We begin a brand new Series, “Broken Halos,” as we focus on how God uses ordinary people to do extraordinary things.
Be sure you check out our Vision Runways Christmas Offering brochure for your opportunities to see God transform lives through the people and ministries of Alive Church.
All of these notes are also in our App. To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE in the church lobby.