Due to copyright restrictions, we are unable to post the Football Sunday video.
Life Groups Study Guide
Taking the Talk to Another Level
From the Weekend Talk of February 1-2, 2020
Life Groups use these questions to go deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Find out more about Life Groups at the Info Center in the lobby or go to alivechurch.com/groups.
Car Questions/Conversation Starters
- If you watched the Super Bowl, were there any moments where it would have been easy for a team’s fans to lose faith in their team?
- Do you have a favorite team (in any sport)? Why are you a fan? Does your support change depending on their level of success, or do you stick with them no matter what?
- Have you ever put your faith (or trust) in someone (or something) that let you down? What happened?
- One definition for faith is, “knowing that Jesus is there even when you can’t see Him.” How does this statement have meaning in your life?
Discussion Starters from the Football Sunday Video
This weekend we heard faith stories from various NFL players and family. The theme was “Shoulder to Shoulder” as we live out our faith.
- Prince Amukamara (NFL Cornerback) said when he was a kid his concept of faith was just keeping up with the rules and being obedient—a “good” person. He learned in college that faith is much more than that. Read Romans 5:8 (p.860*).
- What about this verse helps you think about faith the way Prince does? And talk about the difference between being a “believer” and being a “follower.”
- Nate Solder (NFL Lineman) and his wife, Lexi, told their story of having a baby (Hudson) who was diagnosed at a very early age with cancer. They are still in the middle of seeking treatments for their little boy. They said they do not know Hudson’s future, but they are trusting God. Their challenges led them to help start child development centers in underdeveloped countries.
- What challenges have you faced where you just had to surrender them to God? When have you had to sacrifice to help someone else? How can you take your story and your resources into YOUR world?
- Benjamin (Former NFL tight End) and Kirsten Watson told their story of faith, disappointment, and joy. Benjamin was signed and cut by two NFL teams at times that impacted his dreams of winning a championship. They also went through two miscarriages and then a surprise full-term pregnancy with TWINS. All through these challenges they were trying to be obedient and trust God’s plan.
- Read Romans 8:28 (p.863*). When have you been in a season of pain and disappointment that made it tough to trust God’s plan was for “the good?” What happened?
- How would you answer the question the Watsons asked: “How can God be good if _________?” When have you asked that question? What have you learned?
- What circumstances surrounded your surrender to Jesus? Read Luke 15:8-10 (p.798*). Why do you think the Bible includes this story?
- Who do you know who could use a “shoulder to shoulder” encounter with Jesus? How can you help? Pray for that person right now in the group.
Let’s explore some other teaching about faith found in the Bible.
- Read Galatians 2:20 (p.891*). What does it mean to, “live by trusting in the Son of God” (NIV = “live by faith”)? What does that look like in real life?
- Read James 1:5-8 (p.930*). What is the key to faith? Why is the object of our faith important? Have you ever felt like a “wave of the sea” when it comes to your faith? Why was that? What did you learn?
- Read 1 Peter 1:21-25 (p.934*). What does this passage say about faith and trust in Jesus? What about this passage gives you hope and assurance?
Taking It Home: Next Step
- My Next Step: I will come back next week for the start of our new Talk Series: “Split Second.”
This weekend we begin a new Talk Series: Split Second. We’ll explore God’s Word for insight into how we can navigate the challenges of a “split second” culture that bombards us every day with loads of information and influence through advertising, social media, and reliable sources in this series.
All of these notes are also in our App. To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE in the church lobby.