I Have Questions – Part 1
February 29-March 1, 2020
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
Series Key Verse
“And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.” Romans 8:38 (p.863)
- God Never Stops Loving Me.
- Remind myself daily what Jesus did for me.
“…[God] sent his own Son in a body like the bodies we sinners have. And in that body God declared an end to sin’s control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins. He did this so that the just requirement of the law would be fully satisfied for us…” Romans 8:3-4 (p.862)
- Ask the Holy Spirit to give me healthier thoughts.
“So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace.” Romans 8:6 (p.862)
- Realize I have the ability to say no.
“The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you…therefore dear brothers and sisters you have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do.” Romans 8:11-12 (p.862)
Next Step: ____ This week I will speak Romans 8:38 out loud daily and memorize it.
Life Groups Study Guide
Taking the Talk to Another Level
From the Weekend Talk of February 29-March 1, 2020
I Have Questions – Part 1: Mental Health
Life Groups use these questions to go deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Find out more about Life Groups at the Info Center in the lobby or go to alivechurch.com/groups.
Car Questions/Conversation Starters
- When have you let your emotions negatively affect your life?
- BRIEFLY describe how the subject of mental health has affected you or your family. What was helpful? What was not helpful?
- What are some things you do that help you experience good mental health? (Example: How do you manage your emotions in a healthy way?)
- What are some things that can lead you to experience poor mental health?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk.
- Pastor Jeff highlighted One Thing to remember from this Talk:
“God Never Stops Loving Me.” See Romans 8:38 (p.863*)
- When have you experienced a time when you KNEW God loved you, but you just weren’t FEELING it? What did you do? How can the truth of Romans 8:38 encourage you?
- Jeff taught from Romans 8 (p.863*) three actions to take to help address your opportunity to experience good mental health:
(1) Remind myself daily what Jesus did for me. (Romans 8:1-4 (p.862*)
- What does this passage say about what God thinks about you? (See also Romans 5:8 (p.860*))
- Why is it important to think about what God thinks of you?
- When is this toughest for you?
- What helps you remember this?
(2) Ask the Holy Spirit to give me healthier thoughts. (Romans 8:6 (p.862*))
- When have your thoughts hindered your life? What happened?
- How do you “let the Spirit control your mind”? What can you do to enhance your ability to do this? How can you help your children do this?
(3) Realize I have the ability to say no. (Romans 8:11-12 (p.862*) and John 16:33 (p.825*))
- To what are we encouraged to say “no”?
- Talk about the significance of knowing that the “Spirit of God” lives in you.
- When have you had to intentionally lean into God’s Power? How do you do that?
Jeff encouraged us to, “Ask the Holy Spirit to give me healthier thoughts.” Read the following passages about the Holy Spirit and talk about how each one speaks to the nature of the Holy Sprit’s work in the life of a Follower of Jesus (i.e. a Christian, or, little Christ). How does each reference encourage or challenge you? How does this truth affect your daily life?
- John 14:25-26 (p.823*)
- 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 (p.871*)
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 (p.877*) (Note: this, and other biblical lists of Spiritual Gifts, is a partial list of the gifts.)
- Ephesians 1:12-14 (p.895*)
Taking It Home: Next Step
- My Next Step: This week I will speak Romans 8:38 out loud daily and memorize it.
- Pray now for one another, the Church, and Alive Church.
(Note: Have you walked the new Prayer Path on the campus? Check it out!)
This weekend we continue our Talk Series: I Have Questions: Mental Health. We will dive into what God’s Word has to say about it and how we can learn from and apply those truths. Please bring someone with you!
All of these notes are also in our App. To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE in the church lobby.