It’s Ok To Talk About This
I Have Questions – Part 2
March 7-8, 2020
Series Key Verse:
“And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love…” Romans 8:38 (p.863)
“And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:38-39 (p.863)
- God Never Stops Loving Me
Breaking the silence:
- Acknowledge you are not alone in this.
“And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words.” Romans 8:26 (p.862)
“He (God) comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.” 2 Corinthians 1:4 (p.882)
- Ask for help and accept help when it is given.
“Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important.” Galatians 6:2-3 (p.894)
“Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep.” Romans 12:15 (p.866)
- Don’t just say it, show it.
“Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions.” 1 John 3:18 (p.942)
Next Step: __I will break the silence this week by talking about mental health with someone close to me.
Click the link to download the Mental Health resources
Life Groups Study Guide
Taking the Talk to Another Level
From the Weekend Talk of March 7-8, 2020
I Have Questions – Part 2: Mental Health
Life Groups use these questions to go deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Find out more about Life Groups at the Info Center in the lobby or go to alivechurch.com/groups.
Car Questions/Conversation Starters
- What are some “voices” you have heard in your head? (This doesn’t have to be dark and serious!)
- What are some of the things (good or bad) that you have told yourself about yourself?
- What do you do when you feel like your emotions might get out of control?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk.
- Pastor Cody highlighted One Thing to remember from this Talk:
“God Never Stops Loving Me.” See Romans 8:38 (p.863*)
- Talk about how this biblical truth makes you feel.
- How does this truth affect your day-to-day life?
- Cody taught about three steps we can take to “break the silence” that too often surrounds the topic of mental health; for those dealing with it and for those who are close to them.
(1) Acknowledge you are not alone in this. (Romans 8:26-27 (p.862*) and 2 Corinthians 1:4 (p.882*))
- Have you ever hit a wall where you didn’t know what to pray? How can/does this truth from vs. 26-27 affect your prayer life?
- What does it mean to you that “you are not alone in this?”
- According to this passage, why does God comfort us? How are you seeking to comfort others?
(2) Ask for help and accept help when it is given. (Galatians 6:2-3 (p.894*) and Romans 12:15 (p.866*))
- Talk about a time when you had to ask for help. Was asking for help a “first response” or a “last resort” for you?
- What does it mean to be vulnerable in a healthy way?
- When have you needed to ask for help but you did not do so?
(3) Don’t just say it, show it. (1 John 3:18 (p.942*))
- What “truth” is John talking about?
- How can you help minister to someone without overstepping?
- Use your digital Bible or a concordance to look up some examples of the “One Another’s” of the Bible. Read some and discuss how they affect how we can “show” Jesus’ love to others. Some examples include:
- Care for one another (1 Corinthians 12:25)
- Serve one another (Galatians 5:13)
- Be kind to one another (Ephesians 4:32)
- Forgive one another (Ephesians 4:32; Colossians 3:13)
- Be compassionate towards one another (Ephesians 4:32)
- Our Life Transformation Bible addresses the topic of “Conversation” on Page A96-97. Read through that study and its associated Bible passages.
- Refer to the Mental Health Resources sheet available in the lobby or online right here: Go to alivechurch.com/messages and click on the second part of
I Have Questions then click the Mental Health Resource Link.
Taking It Home: Next Step
- My Next Step: I will break the silence this week by talking about mental health with someone close to me.
- Pray now for one another, the Church, and Alive Church.
This weekend we begin a new Talk Series: Vantage Point. This pre-Easter Series explores how the four Gospels see the Cross of Jesus from their unique vantage points.
All of these notes are also in our App. To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE in the church lobby.