Influence – Part 5
August 28-29, 2021
“The Kingdom of Heaven can be illustrated by the story of a man going on a long trip. He called together his servants and entrusted his money to them while he was gone.” Matthew 25:14 (p.756)
- Use My Resources To Show God’s Love To Others.
Series Key Verse:
“Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.” Matthew 7:12 (p.738)
“He gave five bags of silver to one, two bags of silver to another, and one bag of silver to the last—dividing it in proportion to their abilities. He then left on his trip.” Matthew 25:15 (p.756)
- What resources has God provided me?
“The servant who received the five bags of silver began to invest the money and earned five more. The servant with two bags of silver also went to work and earned two more. But the servant who received the one bag of silver dug a hole in the ground and hid the master’s money.” Matthew 25:16–18 (p.756)
- What’s my attitude about God?
“After a long time their master returned from his trip and called them to give an account of how they had used his money. The servant to whom he had entrusted the five bags of silver came forward with five more and said, ‘Master, you gave me five bags of silver to invest, and I have earned five more.’” Matthew 25:19-20 (p.756)
“Then the servant with the one bag of silver came and said, ‘Master, I knew you were a harsh man, harvesting crops you didn’t plant and gathering crops you didn’t cultivate. I was afraid I would lose your money, so I hid it in the earth. Look, here is your money back.’” Matthew 25:24–25 (p.756)
- What’s the big deal?
“The master was full of praise. ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’” Matthew 25:21 (p.756)
“To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away.” Matthew 25:29 (p.756)
“But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.” Romans 5:8 (p.860)
“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” Ephesians 2:10 (p.896)
My Next Step This Week
___ I will invest my resources to show God’s love to _____________.
Discussion/Groups GuideWeekend Talk of August 28/29, 2021
Influence, Part 5: Well Done!
Life Groups use this guide in their discussion and study of the Weekend Talk. Use this also as a discussion guide with your family and friends.
Our Fall Groups Semester has begun! But you still have time to try a Group. We can help! Find out more about Groups (in person and online) at alivechurch.com/groups.
- Were you ever really good at something (maybe sports or music or art or math) but you stopped doing it so now you are no good at it at all? What happened?
- Have you ever coached someone who had raw talent but for whatever reason, they walked away? How did that make you feel when they walked away from it?
- What are some things people invest in?
- Today we’re looking at one of Jesus’ most famous teachings: the Parable of the 3 Servants (or maybe you know it as The Parable
Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out, challenged, or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and Bible verses from the Talk Notes.
This week’s One Thing: The key principle of influence that Pastor Steve Tanner emphasized is:
Use My Resources To Show God’s Love To Others.
- Read our Series Key Verse: Matthew 7:12 (p.738)
- Read The Parable of the Three Servants (or, “The Talents”) in Matthew 25:14-30.
- What does it mean to be a faithful caretaker/steward?
- When have you been entrusted with another person’s property?
- What resources has God provided me? (Matthew 25:16–18 (p.756))
- As a group, make a list of different resources that can be used to show God’s love to others. See how many you can name in 2 or 3 minutes.
- What are the most creative resources your group came up with?
- What’s my attitude about God? (Matthew 25:19-20, 24-25 (p.756))
- What kind of attitudes about God did you grow up within your family?
- How have your attitudes about God changed over time?
- Have you ever hesitated to act on something you think God is telling you to do because you don’t think you can do it well? What can you do about that kind of feeling?
- What’s the big deal? (Matthew 25:21, 29-30 (p.756))
- What does this parable say about God’s care for who we are and what we do, as well as our accountability to Him?
- Have you ever “buried” your talent?
- Read Romans 5:6-10 (p.860) and Ephesians 2:8-10 (p.896).
- When did you first realize the value of the price Jesus paid for you—while you were still a sinner?
- What can you do to live as God’s masterpiece created for good works?
This section is to encourage you to study further.
Take a look at another passage that addresses our attitudes about God. Read Luke 18:9-14 (p 800).
- The tax collector went away with his sins forgiven.
- How does this account speak to our need to be obedient to God?
- What were the attitudes of the two men in the story?
- And here’s another angle to think about with this story:
- How could you be used by God to welcome people into the church, rather than just leaving it to the pastors and leaders? Could this be another way to use a resource in your arsenal: a simple smile and a friendly greeting?
- We are all God’s children, and we need to show love to everyone, with our resources of Time, Talent, and Treasures.
My Next Step This Week:
- I will invest my resources to show God’s love to _______.
Use your Connection Card at www.alivechurch.com/card to indicate you are taking this Next Step so that we can pray for you.