Live Like You’ve Never Been Hurt – Part 1
September 5-6, 2020
Cody Kiwaczyk, Steve Tanner
“‘Then Peter came to him and asked, ‘Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?’ ‘No, not seven times,’ Jesus replied, ‘but seventy times seven!’” Matthew 18:21-22 (p.749)
“So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free.” John 8:36 (p.817)
- God’s Forgiveness Sets Me Free.
- Run to The Father.
“So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.” Hebrews 4:16 (p.922)
- Confess daily.
“But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.” 1 John 1:8-9 (p.941)
Next Step: ___ I will run to the Father daily and confess my sin by praying “Father, I’m not perfect and I make mistakes. Thank you for forgiving me and setting me free.”
Discussion Guide from the Weekend Talk
From the Weekend Talk of September 5-6, 2020
Live Like You’ve Never Been Hurt Part 1 – Drawing Close
Use this guide with your family or talk it over with friends.
Life Groups use these questions to go deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group.
Get in a Group! Find out more at alivechurch.com/groups.
Did you ever get sent to the principal’s office? What was typically the scenario of what was going on?
What do you think our culture believes about forgiveness?
Talk about a time when you felt stuck. How did you get unstuck so you could then experience some freedom?
Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk Notes.
This week Pastor Cody Kiwaczyk leaned into One Thing to remember from this Talk:
“God’s Forgiveness Sets Me Free.”
- Read Matthew 18:21-22 (p.749*) and John 8:36 (p.817*)
- What is the significance of Jesus telling Peter to forgive “seventy times seven”?
- When have you had to forgive someone more than once for the same offense?
- Talk about when you received God’s forgiveness.
Cody focused on a couple of keys to experiencing the freedom of God’s forgiveness:
- Run to The Father. (Hebrews 4:14-16 (p.922*); see also Luke 15:11-32 (p.798*))
- Have you ever run away from God?
- When you were growing up and you did something wrong was it your tendency to run to your parents or to run away from them?
- The book of Hebrews is often described as a book of “Jesus is Better Than.” I.E. Jesus is better than the old sacrificial system. Sacrifices had to be repeated. Jesus is actually the High Priest AND the perfect sacrifice that needed to be made only once. Now we can enter into God’s presence.
- Talk about the significance of this reality.
- How does the Prodigal Son parable relate to this reality?
- Why is it important to confess our sins to God when he already knows what we’ve done?
- Have you ever run away from God?
- Confess daily. (1 John 1:8-9 (p.941*); see also Romans 10:9-10 (p.864*))
- What is confession? You might want to look it up.
- Why is it important to confess sins daily?
- How is this daily confession different from the confession of our sins that leads to salvation?
- Talk about the difference between a relationship with God and fellowship with God and how sin and confession relate to each.
Forgiveness from God is enormously relevant to how we will live now and for eternity.
One way of understanding the need for forgiveness and the steps to take to trust Jesus as your Forgiver and Leader (aka Savior and Lord) can be traced through the book of Romans. It’s called the Roman Road of Redemption. Read through these passages and talk about your experience with each:
- Romans 3:23 (p.859*)
- Romans 6:23 (p.861*)
- Romans 5:8 (p.860*)
- Romans 10:9-10 (p.864*)
My Next Step: ____ I will run to the Father daily and confess my sin by praying “Father, I’m not perfect and I make mistakes. Thank you for forgiving me and setting me free.”
Pray for one another’s needs and praises. Encourage one another as everyone runs to the Father daily and confesses their sins by praying this week.
Our Fall Life Groups Semester has begun. If you are not yet in a Group, you can still sign up. Find out more at alivechurch.com/groups. If you’re in already in a Group, encourage someone you know to get in a Group!
This weekend we continue with our Talk Series: Live Like You’ve Never Been Hurt. It’s a series on forgiveness: from God; for each other; and of ourselves.
We continue to be Alive Church Online through our various channels and platforms: alivechurch.com; Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Roku, and Apple TV. Invite your friends! Share our posts! Let’s get more and more people connected through Alive Church Online!
To see our Re-Entry Plan, go to alivechurch.com and click the link.
- Groups will play a big role in this process. Get in a Group!
All of these notes are also in our App. To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE. Let us know if you’d like to have one.