“You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.'” Acts 20:35b (p.849)
- I Am More Blessed When I Give Than When I Receive.
- Giving Helps Me Be More Like God.
- Giving Builds My Faith.
- Giving Is The Antidote To Materialism.
- Giving Helps Me Grow Closer To God.
Series Memory Verse: “Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.” Matthew 6:21 (p.737)
- Excel at giving.
“Jesus called his disciples to him and said, ‘I tell you the truth, this poor widow has given more than all the others who are making contributions.’” Mark 12:43 (p.774)
“I want you to excel also in this gracious act of giving.” 2 Corinthians 8:7b (p.886)
- Give cheerfully.
“For they gave a tiny part of their surplus…” Mark 12:44a (p.774)
“For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” 2 Corinthians 9:7 (p.886)
- Recognize giving as a part of worship.
“…but she, poor as she is, has given everything she had to live on.” Mark 12:44b (p.774)
“Tell them to use their money to do good…By doing this they will be storing up their treasure as a good foundation for the future so that they may experience true life.” 1 Timothy 6:18-19 (p.913)
My Next Step This Week: ____I am choosing to take my next step on the continuum of generosity.
Discussion/Groups Guide: Lord Of The Fries – Part 2
Life Groups use this guide in their discussion and study of the Weekend Talk. Use this also as a discussion guide with your family and friends.
- Do you enjoy giving gifts to others? What’s your favorite part of it?
- What’s the best reaction you’ve ever gotten from giving a gift to someone?
- Have you ever heard the phrase “it’s more blessed to give than to receive” before this talk?
- What did you think that meant?
- What most motivates or excites you about giving money to help others?
Looking back at your Weekend Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out to you, challenged you, or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and Bible verses from the Talk Notes.
Our One Thing: I Am More Blessed When I Give Than When I Receive.
Series Memory Verse: Matthew 6:21
One Voice Bible Story Background: Mark 12:41-44 – The Poor Widow
- The poor widow gave more than the rich people. How?
- What do you think the other rich people thought about her two coins?
Our teaching talked about how we are blessed because of our giving:
- Giving Helps Me Be More Like God. (John 3:16a)
- Giving Builds My Faith. (Luke 6:38)
- Giving Is The Antidote To Materialism. (Matthew 6:24)
- Giving Helps Me Grow Closer To God. (Matthew 6:21)
- What stood out to you about those points? What surprised you about giving?
Our teaching focused on three application points:
- Excel at Giving. (2 Corinthians 8:7b; Mark 12:41-44)
- Do you know someone who excels at giving? What is their attitude like when they give?
- Do you feel like you have to work to excel at giving or is it natural for you?
- When you think back to the story of the poor widow, who do you want to be more like and why?
- Give Cheerfully. (1 Corinthians 9:7-8; Mark 12:41-42)
- Think back to the gift you gave and someone gave you an excited reaction. What was your attitude like when you gave that gift?
- When you give to God, shouldn’t you feel the same excitement? Why or why not?
- Thinking back to the poor widow – what was her attitude like and what did Jesus say about it?
- Recognize Giving As A Part Of Worship. (1 Timothy 6:18-19)
- How is giving a part of worship to you?
- In 1 Timothy 6:18-19 it says that when we give, we’re storing up our treasure as a good foundation for the future – what does that mean?
My Next Step This Week:
______ I am choosing to take my next step on the continuum of generosity.