Made To Serve
Made – Part 4
January 18-19, 2020
Series Key Verse: “We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other.” Romans 12:5b (p.866*)
“Then they began to argue among themselves about who would be the greatest among them… Jesus said to them… ‘Who is more important, the one who sits at the table or the one who serves? The one who sits at the table, of course. But not here! For I am among you as one who serves.’” Luke 22:24, 27 (p.805*)
“’(Jesus)…Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else.’” Mark 9:35 (p.770*)
- I Am Made To Serve.
We are never living more like Jesus than when we are serving.
“For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Mark 10:45 (p.771*)
God cares less about your ability to serve than He does your willingness to serve.
Barriers To Serving:
“Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.” Philippians 2:4 (p.900*)
“Farmers who wait for perfect weather never plant. If they watch every cloud, they never harvest.” Ecclesiastes 11:4 (p.510*)
How to Serve at Alive Church:
- Be Willing.
- Discover Your Spiritual Gift(s). (alivechurch.com/spiritualgifts)
- Learn Where the Needs Are.
- Sign Up! (We will help you with the on-boarding process.)
“God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another.” 1 Peter 4:10 (p.936*)
Next Step: __ I Am Made To Serve, so I will begin (or continue) to serve in my church.
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE in the church lobby.
Life Groups Study Guide
Taking the Talk to Another Level
From the Weekend Talk of January 18-19, 2020
Made – Part 4: Made To Serve
Life Groups use these questions to go deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Find out more about Life Groups at the Info Center in the lobby or go to alivechurch.com/groups.
Car Questions/Conversation Starters
- Would you rather serve or be served?
- How/when have you been served well?
- How do you serve in your daily life? In your family? In your church?
- Why do you serve?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk.
- Pastor Steve highlighted One Thing to remember from this week’s Talk:
“I Am Made To Serve.”
- What kind of attitude did Jesus have about serving?
- Read Luke 22:17-27 (p.804*).
- Why do you think the disciples argued about being the greatest?
- Does our culture seem to put higher value on those who serve, or on those who get served?
- Can you think of a time when you were more focused on yourself than on those you could be serving?
- Steve talked about two Barriers to Serving…
- Self-Centeredness. (Philippians 2:4 (p.900*)
- Why do we become self-centered?
- What are some ways we can be self-centered, even when we are not intending to be?
- How can you have a Jesus Attitude for serving? How can we serve even when we’re being served (e.g. How could you server the server at a restaurant? Or the checker at the grocery store?)
- Why do you think Jesus wants us to serve?
- (Ecclesiastes 11:4 (p.510*).
- What did you think about the point Steve made about perfectionism being a form of procrastination?
- When have you been a perfectionist? Was it helpful?
- How does it make you feel to know that God uses imperfect people?
- When have you stepped out of your comfort zone to serve?
- Self-Centeredness. (Philippians 2:4 (p.900*)
- What are some other barriers to serving you can think of?
- Do you know your Spiritual Gift(s)? (alivechurch.com/spiritualgifts)
Read Luke 19:1-10 (p.801*)
- Jesus invited himself to Zacchaeus’ house, so He knew He was going to be served BY Zacchaeus. Talk about how having a serving attitude works in those times when we are the ones being served. How did Zacchaeus respond? How do we develop an attitude of serving? Does any part of this story indicate that Jesus also served Zacchaeus?
Read John 13:1-17 (p.822*)
- Why is it significant that Jesus washed His disciples’ feet? What lessons did He teach them? When have you served someone who was “beneath” you?
Taking It Home: Next Step
- My Next Step: I am Made to Serve, so I will begin (or continue) to serve in my church.
- Where are you serving?
- What are some ways we could serve together as a Group?
- Pray now for one another, the Church, and Alive Church. Pray for more and more people to respond to the serving needs at Alive Church.
- (Note: Have you walked the new Prayer Path on the campus? Check it out!)
We wrap up our first 2020 One Voice Teaching Series, “Made,” as we focus on how God Made us for His purposes.
All of these notes are also in our App. To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!