Easter Weekend, Mountain Movers – Part 4
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
(Mary) “They have taken the Lord’s body out of the tomb, and we don’t know where they have put him!” John 20:2b (p.828)
“Then the disciple who had reached the tomb first also went in, and he saw and believed—for until then they still hadn’t understood the Scriptures that said Jesus must rise from the dead. Then they went home.” John 20:8-10 (p.828)
”Mary Magdalene found the disciples and told them, ‘I have seen the Lord!’ Then she gave them his message.” John 20:18 (p.828)
- Faith Is Trusting God Enough To Do What He Says. He Says Live In His Grace.
Memory verse: “I tell you the truth if you had faith even a small as a mustard seed you could say to this mountain move from here to there and it would move. Nothing would be impossible.” Matthew 17:20 (p.748)
“For God saved us and called us to live a holy life. He did this, not because we deserved it, but because that was his plan from before the beginning of time—to show us his grace through Christ Jesus.” 2 Timothy 1:9 (p.914)
1. Put my faith in Jesus
“Jesus told him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.’” John 14:6 (p.823)
2. Look and listen for Jesus
“She turned to leave and saw someone standing there. It was Jesus, but she didn’t recognize him.” John 20:14 (p.828)
My Next Step This Week:
________ I am putting my faith in Jesus today for the very first time, trusting Him to be the forgiver of my sins and the leader of my life.
________ I will look and listen for Jesus every day, living in His grace as a Mountain Mover.
Discussion/Groups Guide: Mountain Movers – Part 4 “Grace”
Life Groups use this guide in their discussion from the Weekend Talk. This is also a discussion guide you can use with your family and friends.
- What did you do for Easter? A big celebration? A quiet reflection?
- Why isn’t Easter as a big of a deal in our culture as Christmas?
- When did Easter become a real celebration of the resurrection of Jesus for you?
Looking back at your Weekend Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out to you, challenged you, or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and Bible verses from the Talk Notes.
One Thing: Faith Is Trusting God Enough To Do What He Says. He Says Live In His Grace.
Series Memory Verse: Matthew 17:20 (p.748).
One Voice Bible Story Background: The Resurrection (John 20:1-20 p.828)
- After reading through John’s account of the resurrection, what stands out to you?
- Did you notice anything you may have missed before?
- Have you ever put yourself in the place of people from the Bible? If so, with whom do you identify with in this account?
More Background: Mark 9:31 (p.770); Romans 5:12-21 (p.860); 2 Timothy 1:9 (p.914)
- Jesus had told the disciples what was going to happen (Mark 9:31). They had a tough time grasping it. Now that He had risen they are starting to understand. It took Mary a bit of time to get it. Once she did, she obeyed Jesus’ command to go tell the others.
- Talk about your faith story. Were you quick to get it, or did it take some time for you? Who helped you? Who told you about Jesus? When did you surrender your life to Him and believe?
- Romans 5:17, from the Talk, is part of Paul’s teaching about how Adam’s sin led to condemnation, but God’s free gift of forgiveness through Jesus leads to being made right with God. A key part of this is that God gave this gift even “while we were still sinners!” (Romans 5:8).
- Talk about a gift you have received when you knew you didn’t deserve it.
- How does it make you feel to know that God did this for you?
- This weekend we talked about Grace being “when you get what you don’t deserve.”
- 2 Timothy 1:9 speaks to this. Why are we saved, according to Paul’s letter to Timothy?
This week our discussion focuses on the following points of teaching and application:
- Put my faith in Jesus. John 14:6 (p.823); Matthew 28:6 (p.760)
- What things do people tend to put their faith in? What lessons have you learned about the right object for your faith?
- Jesus said He would die and rise again, and He did just that! Talk about how His resurrection makes a difference in your life.
- Look and listen for Jesus. John 20:14, 27-29 (p.828)
- Mary was slow to recognize Jesus at the empty tomb. Like many of us, she wasn’t really looking for Him to be alive. Are you looking for a risen Savior or are you looking for a distant (or dead), impersonal being who has no relevance for you?
- How have you experienced Jesus in your life? What difference has He made?
- Looking at Thomas and his proclamation of Jesus as Lord and God, what did it take for you to proclaim Jesus as Lord?
- Why trust Jesus? Because He rose from the dead.
- Who can you help look and listen for Jesus?
Take time to read the accounts of the resurrection in the Gospels; Matthew 28:1-10 (p.760) Mark 16:1- 10 (p.788) Luke 24:1-11 (p.807) and John 20 1-23 (p.828)
- What stands out for you in these four accounts? What are the similarities and what are the differences?
- Look particularly at John 20:16-17 and Matthew 28:9. Mary touches Jesus. This is very important as He had a physical body.
- Look at John 20:24-29. Thomas was invited to touch Jesus. How did Thomas respond? What did Jesus answer back to Him? Do you have to see before you believe? See Hebrews 11:1 (p.926).
In our Mountain Movers Series, we have been leaning into a few key concepts:
- Faith is trusting God enough to do what He says.
- Faith doesn’t have to be complicated.
- Serving is an act of faith. It is a primary tool to engage my faith.
- We have unique opportunities to live out our faith through how God uniquely designed and created each of us to honor Him.
- God has something for each of us.
- Love serves.
- We can live in God’s Grace through faith in Jesus.
Has this series been helpful? Was it challenging? Are you doing anything differently now than you were a month ago? Are you still struggling in a specific area in your faith? If so, how can we help you over this barrier?
My Next Step This Week:
- ________ I am putting my faith in Jesus today, for the very first time, trusting Him to be the forgiver of my sins and the leader of my life.
- ________ I will look and listen for Jesus every day, living in His grace as a Mountain Mover.
Life Transformation Bible Daily Reading this Week: Grace (p.A40-41)