One Day He Changed The World
One Day – Part 1
Easter Weekend, April 20-21
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
“And if Christ has not been raised, then all our preaching is useless, and your faith is useless. And we apostles would all be lying about God…and you are still guilty of your sins. In that case, all who have died believing in Christ are lost! And if our hope in Christ is only for this life, we are more to be pitied than anyone in the world.” 1 Corinthians 15:14-19
“He was seen by more than 500 of his followers at one time.” 1 Corinthians 15:6a
“But in fact, Christ has been raised from the dead. He is the first of a great harvest of all who have died.” 1 Corinthians 15:20
- Jesus’ Resurrection Gives Me New Life.
“So you see, just as death came into the world through a man, now the resurrection from the dead has begun through another man. Just as everyone dies because we all belong to Adam, everyone who belongs to Christ will be given new life.” 1 Corinthians 15:21–22
- Allow His power to change
“But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.” 1 John 1:9
- Allow His words to guide
“Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.” Psalm 119:105
- Allow His love to transform
“Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.” Romans 12:2a
“‘(Jesus)…I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die.’” John 11:25-26a
– I’m putting my faith in Jesus for the very first time today.
– I’ve drifted spiritually and am renewing my faith in Jesus today.
– As a Follower of Jesus, I am praying for God to give me the faith to obey Him in all things.
Life Groups Study Questions
Taking the Talk to Another Level
For the Week of April 21, 2019
Life Groups use these questions to dig deeper into what we talked about this weekend as we do life together in relationships. Our Spring Semester is winding down as we wrap up the week of May 5. Watch for sign up information about Fall Groups coming soon. Find out more about Groups by checking the “Groups” box on your Connection Card, or go to alivechurch.com/groups.
- What was the best thing about your Easter weekend?
- What is one day that made a significant difference in your life? (It doesn’t have to be a spiritual thing!) What would your life be like if that one that one day had not occurred?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, did anything you heard in the service particularly catch your attention, or maybe challenge or even confuse you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Pastor Jeff began our One Day series with an Easter message of One Day He Changed the World.
- When did Easter first make sense to you? When did it become more than bunnies and eggs?
- Read 1 Corinthians 15:1-6, 14-22
- What is the “most important” message?
- What does Paul say would make our preaching and faith “useless?”
- Why does the resurrection matter?
- Talk about the significance of the Apostles all dying a martyr’s death—even many years after Jesus’ resurrection.
- What does this say about their belief?
- Jeff talked about our need to let God’s Power change us (1 John 1:9), His Words guide us (Psalm 119:105), and His Love transform us (Romans 12:2).
- Which of these three are you finding the most challenging to embrace right now?
- What difference do any of these make in how you live your life?
- How would you describe the resurrection to an eight-year-old child?
- The books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John all have an account of the resurrection.
- Read through all four of them (or at least two of them) and compare their testimonial accounts.
- What is different about them? What is similar?
- See if you can find one unique fact presented in each, but not in the other three.
- Does the fact that they don’t exactly match up increase or decrease their credibility?
- What part of the resurrection story has been the most significant for you?
Taking It Home
- Jeff gave us a three-option Next Step Challenge:
____ I’m putting my faith in Jesus for the very first time today.
____ I’ve drifted spiritually and am renewing my faith in Jesus today.
____ As a Follower of Jesus, I am praying for God to give me the faith to obey Him in all things.
- What is one practical next step can you take to help you live this out?
- Pray for one another in your Group to intentionally live out the Next Step.
- Pray for those who made faith decisions over the weekend. Pray that we can appropriately and helpfully follow up with them to help them with the next steps of their faith journey.
- Easter weekend launched our One Day Talk Series, and it also was the culmination the “One Day to Feed the World” special offering. If you have not yet participated in this offering, you still have time. Find out more at AliveChurch.com/OneDay.
- This weekend the series continues with, One Day He Gave Us Power. Bring someone with you to come and see what this power is.