One Day He Gave Us Power
One Day – Part 2
April 27-28, 2019
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you.” Acts 1:8a
“But now I am going away to the one who sent me…in fact, it is best for you that I go away, because if I don’t, the Advocate won’t come. If I do go away, then I will send him to you.” John 16:5,7
- I Need Power To Live My New Life
- New desires.
“So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other.” Galatians 5:16-18a
- New influence.
“Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit.” Ephesians 5:18
- New character.
“But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.” Galatians 5:22-23a
“And all who have been united with Christ in baptism have put on the character of Christ, like putting on new clothes.” Galatians 3:27
Next Step: _____I choose today to surrender all of me to all of Him. (The Holy Spirit)
Life Groups Study Questions
Taking the Talk to Another Level
For the Week of April 28, 2019
Life Groups use these questions to dig deeper into what we talked about this weekend as we do life together in relationships. Our Spring Semester is winding down as we wrap up the week of May 5. Watch for sign up information about Fall Groups coming soon. Find out more about Groups by checking the “Groups” box on your Connection Card, or go to alivechurch.com/groups.
- In what ways does our culture value power?
- When have you seen or experienced a demonstration of power that came from a seemingly unlikely source?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, did anything you heard in the service particularly catch your attention, or maybe challenge or even confuse you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Pastor Jeff continued our One Day series with a message of One Day He Gave Us Power.
- Do you feel powerful? How so?
- When do you feel most powerful, with an attitude of, “I got this!”?
- When do you feel the least powerful, with an attitude of, “oh no!”?
- Read Acts 1:8 and John 16:5-7
- What kind of power is Jesus talking about?
- How has your life been changed by the Power of God?
- How would you describe God’s power to a skeptic? A child?
- Read Jeff’s main points and the verses associated with them:
– New Desires (Galatians 5:16-18)
– New Influence (Ephesians 5:18)
- Which of these three do you find to be the most challenging in which to consistently live with success?
- Why do they pose a challenge in the first place?
- Does it get easier or more difficult to live these out the longer you live your life as a Follower of Jesus?
- Jeff’s Next Step challenge talks of “surrender.”
- Does our culture value “surrendering?”
- How does “surrender” reconcile with “power?”
- Read Romans 8:1-14
- What stands out to you?
- Who has the Spirit living in them? (v. 1-2)
- Who should be controlling you?
- Who/What IS controlling you?
- Talk about God declaring “an end to sin’s control over us.” (v. 3)
– Do you feel like that is the reality for you every day?
- How do you “let the Spirit control your mind?” (v.6)
– Another Bible translation, The New American Standard Version, translates this phrase as us having a, “mind set on the Spirit.“
- What does this passage say about the importance of having the Spirit within you and living by the Spirit?
- How would you describe The Holy Spirit to a six year old?
Taking It Home
- Jeff gave us this Next Step Challenge: __ I choose today to surrender all of me to all of Him. (The Holy Spirit)
- What is one practical thing that you can do to help you live this out?
- Pray for one another in your Group to intentionally live out the Next Step.
This weekend our One Day series concludes with, One Day He’s Coming Again.
Have you ever wondered what the end of time might look like? What happens when Jesus comes back for His church? Is it something you feel uneasy about or are you excited about it?
Pastor Jeff is going to be talking about what we find in scripture about Jesus’ return and how good it is for the church! Invite a friend to come and see what God says about it.