State of Mind – Part 4
November 20 & 21, 2021
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
“Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love.”
1 John 4:18 (p.943)
“For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7 (p.916)
Series Memory Verse: ”You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.” Mark 12:30 (p.773)
“Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves.” Matthew 14:24 (p.746)
- Every Opportunity For Fear Is An Opportunity For Faith.
- Respond to Jesus’ commands with obedience.
“Jesus spoke to them at once. ‘Don’t be afraid,’ he said. ‘Take courage. I am here!’ Then Peter called to him, ‘Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.’” Matthew 14:27-28 (p.746)
- Maintain eye contact with Jesus.
“But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink.” Matthew 14:30a (p.746)
“Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.” Psalm 23:4 (p.423)
- Call out to Jesus.
“’Save me, Lord!’ he shouted…Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. ‘You have so little faith,’ Jesus said. ‘Why did you doubt me?’” Matthew 14:30b-31 (p.746)
”But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you.” Psalm 56:3 (p.438)
- Worship Jesus.
“When they climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped. Then the disciples worshiped him. ‘You really are the Son of God!’ they exclaimed.” Matthew 14:32-33 (p.746)
“But even if you suffer for doing what is right, God will reward you for it. So don’t worry or be afraid of their threats. Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life.”
1 Peter 3:14b–15a (p.936)
My Next Step This Week: _______ I’m going to memorize 2 Timothy 1:7 and make it a daily prayer each day this week.
Weekend Talk of November 20-21, 2021
State of Mind – Part 4: Fear
Life Groups use this guide in their discussion and study of the Weekend Talk. Use this also as a discussion guide with your family and friends.
Find out more about Groups (in person and online) at alivechurch.com/groups.
- What is the scariest thing you have ever done through your own choice? Were you part of a group? Why were you doing it? Were you scared when you were doing it? How did you feel at the end of it?
- What about a scary situation that you did not bring on yourself? What was it and how long did it last and what were your feelings after it?
- Share a time where you overcame your fear or timidity and God then blessed you or others. Do you still have that fear?
Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out to you, challenged you, or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and Bible verses from the Talk Notes.
This week’s One Thing: The key principle that Pastor Jeff Love emphasized is:
Every Opportunity For Fear Is An Opportunity For Faith.
- Series Memory Verse: Mark 12:30 (p.773)
- Background: Matthew 14:22-33 (p.746).
- Read 1 John 4:18 (p.943) and 2 Timothy 1:7 (p.914)
- Talk about the One Thing. When have you faced fear by exercising faith?
- Look up fear and then timidity. Where are you timid and why? Why do you think many Christians are timid about sharing their faith?
- Jeff showed a picture of his friends very timidly peeking over the handrail at the rim of the Grand Canyon. Have you faced a similar situation?
- Jeff challenged us to focus on four simple actions to live in faith:
- Respond to Jesus commands with obedience. (Matthew 14:22-28 (p.746))
- Jesus sent them out onto the lake. He was not in the boat with them, BUT He showed up at just the right time. Have you experienced this with God?
- What happened immediately before this incident in the storm? Talk about any significance you might see in the sequence of events.
- Maintain eye contact with Jesus. (Matthew 14:30a (p.746); Psalm 23:1-4 (p.423); Hebrews 12:1-2 (p.927))
- Talk about how the Psalm 23 passage relates to the story in Matthew 14.
- An old hymn has this lyric: “Turn your eyes upon Jesus / and look full at his wonderful face / and things of life will grow strangely dim / in light of His Glory and Grace.”
- When we are focused on Christ/The Cross, temptations and distractions will still be present, but we are in a position to deal with them in faith instead of fear. Have you experienced this in your faith journey?
- Remember Ephesians 6:10-18 (p.698). We must put on the armor of God daily and we need to be able to reach out to each other for prayer support. Prayer support is a foundation for our Life Group.
- Call out to Jesus. (Matthew 14:30b-31 (p.746); Psalm 56:3 (p.438))
- Talk about a time when you faced a serious fear by calling out to God.
- Who walked on water with Jesus but then began to sink? Who else got out of the boat with Peter?
- A book from a few years ago had this title: If You Want to Walk on Water You‘ve Got to Get Out of the Boat. When have you “gotten out of the boat” to fully trust Jesus in faith?
- Worship Jesus. (Matthew 14:32-33 (p.746); 1 Peter 3:14b–15a (p.936))
- It’s significant to remember that the guy who impulsively jumped out of the boat but then sank in the waves is the same guy—Peter—who wrote the above passage from 1 Peter.
- Worship is more than music. See how many different ways to worship you can name in your Group.
- How does Worship help you face fear?
- Jeff said, “Fear is the polar opposite of faith – the two cannot dwell in the same place/space.” What thoughts do you have about that?
- Worry (Week 1 in Series) can lead to anxiety and fear – fight this by praying Philippians 4:6-7 (p.901).
Digging Deeper (usually to study on your own)
We’ve compiled a list of dozens of Bible verses that tell us not to fear. As you memorize and pray 2 Timothy 1:7 this week take that time to also reflect on some of these verses.
My Next Step This Week: I will memorize 2 Timothy 1:7 and make it a prayer each day this week.
Use the link on the app or go to your Connection Card at www.alivechurch.com/card to indicate you are taking this Next Step so that we can pray for you.