Due to copyright restrictions, some elements from the video talk have been removed.
30 Second Theology
Split Second – Part 1
February 8-9, 2020
Dr. Jeffrey Allen love
“It’s not what goes into your body that defiles you; you are defiled by what comes from your heart…For from within, out of a person’s heart, come evil thoughts…” Mark 7:15,21 (p.767)
- My Thoughts Become My Actions.
Make It My Norm To:
- Allow God’s Word to change my thoughts.
“Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” Romans 12:2 (p.886)
- Filter my thoughts through God’s Word.
“…Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.” Philippians 4:8 (p.901)
- Memorize God’s Word.
“I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.” Psalm 119:11 (p.468)
“For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.” Proverbs 23:7 (NKJV)
Next Step: ___ I will memorize and meditate on Psalm 119:11.
Life Groups Study Guide
Taking the Talk to Another Level
From the Weekend Talk of February 8-9, 2020
Split Second: 30 Second Theology
Life Groups use these questions to go deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Find out more about Life Groups at the Info Center in the lobby or go to alivechurch.com/groups.
Car Questions/Conversation Starters
- What was your favorite Super Bowl commercial? Least favorite?
- Who were some important influencers in your life as you were growing up?
- Who (or what) are some key influencers in our culture today?
- In what ways does our culture seek to influence us in ways that are not biblical (or even healthy)?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk.
- Pastor Jeff highlighted One Thing to remember from this week’s Talk:
“My Thoughts Become My Actions.”
- Talk about that statement. Does it ring true for you?
- Can you give any examples of how YOUR thoughts led to your actions?
- Read Mark 7:15,21 (p.767*). Talk about the relationship between the heart, the mind, and our words.
- Jeff also gave us three intentional actions to take so we are prepared for “split second influencers” in our lives.
(1) Allow God’s Word to change my thoughts. (Romans 12:2 (p.886*))
- What does this mean to you?
- What are the benefits of letting God change the way you think?
- Talk about how you may think differently today than you did 1, 5, or 10 years ago.
(2) Filter my thoughts through God’s Word. (Philippians 4:8 (p.901*))
- For what purpose did those Super Bowl advertisers air their ads?
- How does filtering your thoughts this way help you discern truth?
- Have you ever felt motivated or manipulated? What’s the difference? How did each case make you feel?
(3) Memorize God’s Word. (Psalm 119:11 (p.468*))
- Quote your favorite Bible verse. How do you remember THAT verse?
- Why is scripture memorization important?
- How does memorization make you ready for “split second influencers?”
Read James 1:13-18 (p.930*)
- What is the progression (regression?) of the pattern that ultimately “gives birth to death?” How should we combat this pattern? When have you had to intentionally fight against the downward pattern? How did you do it?
Read Ephesians 4:21-24 (p.897*)
- What characterizes a life separated from Jesus? What “new nature” is this talking about? Are we called upon to renew our own thoughts, under our own power? How does it make you feel that it is the Spirit who “renews our thoughts and attitudes?” What difference should this make?
Taking It Home: Next Step
My Next Step: I will memorize and meditate on Psalm 119:11.
- Read the verse together as a group.
- Pray now for one another, the Church, and Alive Church.
(Note: Have you walked the new Prayer Path on the campus? Check it out!)
This weekend we continue with Part 2 of our “Split Second” series with the talk, “My Feed.” As you might guess, we will dive into the world of social media and see how we can prepare ourselves for healthy use of this seemingly ever-present technology.
All of these notes are also in our app. To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE in the church lobby.