Split Second – Part 2
February 15-16, 2020
Pastor Steve Tanner
Series Key Verse: “I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.” Psalm 119:11 (p.468*)
- I Represent Jesus.
“And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.” Colossians 3:17 (p.904*)
As a representative of Jesus, I must:
- Guard my heart.
“Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Avoid all perverse talk; stay away from corrupt speech. Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you.” Proverbs 4:23-25 (p.483*)
- Watch my words.
“Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone.” Colossians 4:5-6 (p.904*)
“The tongue can bring death or life.” Proverbs 18:21a (p.494*)
Sidebar: From Saul to Paul. He was blind but then he could see! (Acts 9 (p.837-38*)
- Encourage others.
“Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.” Ephesians 4:29 (p.897*)
“You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden… Let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” Matthew 5:14, 16 (p.736*)
Next Step: ___ This week I will guard my heart and watch my words as I seek to encourage others in my posts and conversations.
Life Groups Study Guide
Taking the Talk to Another Level
From the Weekend Talk of February 15-16, 2020
Split Second – Part 2: My Feed
Life Groups use these questions to go deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Find out more about Life Groups at the Info Center in the lobby or go to alivechurch.com/groups.
Car Questions/Conversation Starters
- What app do you typically use for social media? Why? Why not?
- What kind of posts are most likely to get your attention or draw you in? (some possibilities: politics, funny images, cat videos, spiritual things, experiences of a friend, etc.)
- Do you intentionally monitor your “screen time”? How?
- How does social media personally benefit you? What would your life be like without social media?
- Parents, what effect does social media have on your kids? Do you know what platforms your kids are on? How do you handle accountability?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk.
- Pastor Steve highlighted One Thing to remember: “I Represent Jesus.”
- What does it mean to be a representative?
- Talk about when you have represented a larger group: Perhaps it was at a family gathering, for your employer, or even in an elected office.
- What are some ways you represent Jesus, on or off social media?
- Steve said we need to do at least 3 things if we are to represent Jesus well:
(1) Guard my heart. (Proverbs 4:23-27 (p.483*))
- What does this mean to you? Identify the practical steps this passage gives for guarding your heart.
- In what ways can you guard your heart?
- When have you needed to be very intentional to guard your heart?
(2) Watch my words. (Colossians 4:5-6 (p.904*); Proverbs 18:21a (p.494*))
- Have you ever said or posted something you wish you hadn’t? What did you learn? How do you keep from making that mistake again?
- How can you engage in vigorous—but healthy—conversation (or debate) without violating the principles of this teaching point and its corresponding Bible passages?
- What example(s) can you give for a constructive use of social media?
- How can you teach children to watch their words?
(3) Encourage others. (Ephesians 4:29 (p.897*); Matthew 5:14,16 (p.736*))
- Who is the most encouraging person you know?
- What are some pro-active ways you can encourage others?
- Does knowing that as a Follower of Jesus you are the “light of the world” raise the stakes on how we handle our posts and conversations? How? How do you keep yourself consciously aware of this on a daily basis?
Read Colossians 3:1-17 (p.903*)
- Verse 1 sets up the premise for this discussion: “since you have been raised to new life with Christ.” Identify the things on which Paul is instructing us to focus and set our sights. What positive and godly things are we to lean into? How are these things helpful to your daily living?
- What are we to “put to death” and “have nothing to do with”? Why does the Bible tell us this?
- How does this passage help our relationships, either online or in person?
Taking It Home: Next Step
- My Next Step: This week I will guard my heart and watch my words as I seek to encourage others in my posts and conversations.
- Pray now for one another, the Church, and Alive Church.
(Note: Have you walked the new Prayer Path on the campus? Check it out!)
This weekend we continue with Part 3 of our “Split Second” Series with the Talk, “Fake News?” Are you listening to reliable sources? How do you know? Let’s talk about it! Please bring someone with you!
All of these notes are also in our App. To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE in the church lobby.