What Is Truth
Stand Firm – Week 2
April 25 – 26, 2020
Steve Tanner & Cody Kiwaczyk
Series Key Verse:
“A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil.” Ephesians 6:10-11 (p.898)
“Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth.” Ephesians 6:13-14a (p.898)
Genesis 3 – Adam and Eve gave in to the lies of Satan.
- Know The Truth To Defeat The Lies.
“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.” Hebrews 13:8 (p.928)
To know the Truth:
- Spend time with Jesus.
“Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.” John 14:6 (p.823)
- Study the Bible.
“All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.” 2 Timothy 3:16 (p.915)
- Seek relationships with others who live out #1 and #2.
“Let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.” Hebrews 10:25 (p.926)
Next Step: This week I will spend time with God every day.
Note: You choose the method! You might read the Daily Reading from the Life Transformation Bible: This week our focus is “Serving” on page A38-39. You could listen to worship music or read your Bible (perhaps Ephesians 6:10-18 which speaks of the Armor of God). You can pray or journal. JUST DO IT!
Discussion Guide from the Weekend Talk
From the Weekend Talk of April 25-26, 2020
Stand Firm – Part 2 – What Is Truth
Use this Discussion Guide to dig deeper into the principles from the Weekend Talk. Our Life Groups will use them, but we encourage you to discuss them with your family, or over the phone, or online with friends.
Yes, our Life Groups continue to meet, ONLINE! Life Groups use these questions to go deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Please let us know if you would like to join a group. We are also looking for opportunities to begin NEW ONLINE Groups.
- What is truth to you? Does truth change? How do you know something is true?
- When have you believed something to be true, but later discovered that the information either changed or was false?
- What “truth” (or perception of truth) has changed for you?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk Notes.
- This week Pastors Steve Tanner and Cody Kiwaczyk highlighted One Thing to remember from this Talk: “Know The Truth To Defeat The Lies”
- Read Ephesians 6:12-14a (p.898*).
- Who are we fighting? When have you felt like you were in a spiritual battle?
- What does the act of putting on the Armor of God accomplish?
- What will happen to us “after the battle?”
- Steve and Cody discussed what to do to “Know the Truth:”
- Read Ephesians 6:12-14a (p.898*).
- Spend Time With Jesus. (John 14:6 (p.823* and Hebrews 13:8 (p.928*))
- Talk about what it means to realize truth is more than just accurate information: that truth is a Person?
- How does Hebrews 13:8 make John 14:6 even more significant?
- How do you spend time with Jesus? When is it more natural for you to do this, and when is it more of a struggle? How do you deal with distractions?
- Are you more likely to spend time with Jesus when things are going well in your life or when you face some kind of challenge?
- Study The Bible. (2 Timothy 3:16-17 (p.915*))
- Identify and discuss at least six specific benefits of what God’s Word does in our lives.
- What is your favorite way to study the Bible? (Some possibilities include following a systematic reading plan; read multiple translations; read commentaries; simply read and pray, just to name a few.) Favorite place? Best time of day?
(3) 3. Seek relationships with others who live out #1 and #2. (Hebrews 10:25 (p.926*))
- Who has been a spiritual encourager for you?
- Who have you been an encourager to? Are you a person that others can count on to be a godly influence?
- How can we, in our group, encourage each other?
- As we discuss the Belt of Truth in our study this week, let’s take a look at more evidence from scripture of the existence, value and source of truth.
- 1 John 1:8 (p.941)
- Sometimes the truth hurts. How does this truth speak to our need for Jesus?
- 1 John 3:16-19 (p.942)
- What does it mean to “show the truth” and to “belong to the truth”?
- John 17:17-21 (p.825)
- In Jesus’ prayer after the Last Supper, what does he pray for “the truth” to do for His disciples, and for us today?
- John 8:31-32 (p.817)
- Who does Jesus say will “know the truth?” How does he identify what a disciple is?
- 1 John 1:8 (p.941)
- My Next Step: ____ This week I will spend time with God every day.
- What is your plan to do this?
- Pray now for those in leadership in our country, state, community and church. Pray for unity and community in these unusual times. Pray that the people experiencing church online would also engage in deeper ways with Jesus and His Church.
This weekend we continue our Talk Series: Stand Firm. It’s time to Stand Firm for the challenges ahead as we learn what it means to live in God’s Power by putting on God’s Armor. We discuss each individual piece of armor and how it can relate to our everyday lives as followers of Jesus. Being properly equipped for spiritual battle has never been more important than it is now.
We will continue to be Alive Church Online through our various channels and platforms: AliveChurch.com; Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Roku, and Apple TV. Invite your friends! Share our posts! Let’s get more and more people connected through Alive Church Online!
All of these notes are also in our App. To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE. Let us know if you’d like to have one.