Sword of The Spirit
Stand Firm – Part 7
May 30-31, 2020
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love, Pastor Steve Tanner
“…take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” Ephesians 6:17 (p.898)
- Faith Is A Fight And God’s Word Is My Weapon.
“Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted there by the devil. For forty days and forty nights he fasted and became very hungry.” Matthew 4:1-2 (p.735)
Types of Temptation:
- Physical needs and desires.
“During that time the devil came and said to him, ‘If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become loaves of bread.’ But Jesus told him, ‘No! The Scriptures say, People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” Matthew 4:3-4 (p.735)
“Then the devil took him to the holy city, Jerusalem, to the highest point of the Temple, and said, ‘If you are the Son of God, jump off! For the Scriptures say, He will order his angels to protect you. And they will hold you up with their hands so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone.’ Jesus responded, ‘The Scriptures also say, You must not test the Lord your God.’” Matthew 4:5-7 (p.735)
- Possessions and power.
“Next the devil took him to the peak of a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. ‘I will give it all to you,’ he said, ‘if you will kneel down and worship me.’ ‘Get out of here, Satan,’ Jesus told him. ‘For the Scriptures say, You must worship the Lord your God and serve only him.’” Matthew 4:8-10 (p.735)
Triumph Over Temptation:
- Know God’s Word.
“I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.” Psalm 119:11 (p.486)
- Obey God’s Word.
“But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.” James 1:22 (p.930)
Next Steps: ____ I will memorize James 1:22 and pray this prayer daily: “God help me to know and obey Your Word so I can Stand Firm.”
Discussion Guide from the Weekend Talk
From the Weekend Talk of May 30-31, 2020
Stand Firm – Part 7: Sword of the Spirit
Use this Discussion Guide to dig deeper into the principles from the Weekend Talk. Our Life Groups will use them, but we encourage you to discuss them with your family, or over the phone or online with friends.
Yes, our Life Groups continue to meet, ONLINE! Life Groups use these questions to go deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Please let us know if you would like to join a group. We are also looking for opportunities to begin NEW ONLINE Groups.
- What is one of the first Bible verses you ever learned?
- What are some common temptations people face?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk Notes.
- This week Pastors Jeff Love and Steve Tanner highlighted One Thing to remember from this Talk:
“Faith is a Fight and God’s Word is My Weapon.”
- Read Ephesians 6:10-17 (p.898*) and Matthew 3:13-17 and 4:1-2 (p.898*).
- What has happened just before Jesus is tempted?
- Who tempted Jesus?
- Who led Him into the wilderness to be tempted? Does this surprise you?
- The difference between temptation and sin can be illustrated with these two formulas:
Opportunity + Desire = Temptation | Opportunity + Desire + Action = Sin
- Do these make sense? Have you ever thought that temptation itself was a sin? Why?
Jeff and Steve discussed Three Types of Temptation that Jesus faced, which we also face.
- Physical needs and desires. (Matthew 4:3-4 (p.735*) and Deuteronomy 8:3 (p.146*))
- What physical need made this temptation plausibly tempting?
- How did Jesus respond?
- Pride. (Matthew 4:5-7 (p.735*), Psalm 91:11-12 (p.456*) and Deuteronomy 6:16 (p.144*))
- What are your thoughts about the fact that Satan quoted scripture?
- Why is context so critical when it comes to understanding what God’s Word says? Have you ever been taken out of context?
- Has pride ever been a temptation for you? Have you ever seen someone brought down by pride?
- Possessions and power. (Matthew 4:8-10 (p.735) and Deuteronomy 6:13 (p.144*))
- What would have happened if Jesus had given in to this temptation?
- Why is it significant that Jesus was tempted at all? How does that impact your faith?
Jeff and Steve also laid out two key principles to help us Triumph Over Temptation and all of the evil strategies of the devil.
- Know God’s Word. (Psalm 119:11 (p.486*)
- What is one of your favorite Bible verses that you can quote from memory? Why is it a favorite?
- Are you very good at memorizing scripture? Do you ever try?
- Obey God’s Word. (James 1:22-24 (p.930*)
- How are we “fooling ourselves” if we don’t obey God’s Word?
- What are some consequences of not obeying God’s Word (v. 23-24)?
- Forgetting what you look like is a metaphor for forgetting who you are in Christ. Talk about why it is so important to remember who you are in Christ.
What are some scriptures you have heard misused or used out of context? (Some common examples are Matthew 5:39, Matthew 7:1, Philippians 4:13, and 1 Timothy 6:10).
- How could each of these be taken out of context?
- How can you discover what the true context is? (Hint: it involves reading more than just the one verse.)
- My Next Step: ____ I will memorize James 1:22 and pray this prayer daily: “God help me to know and obey Your Word so I can Stand Firm.”
- Read (or recite) James 1:22 together as a group.
- Pray now for those in leadership in our country, state, community and church. Pray for unity and community in these unusual times. Pray that the people experiencing church online would also engage in deeper ways with Jesus and His Church.
This weekend we revisit our Talk Series I Have Questions as we dig into some challenging questions many are asking. How does God’s Word address them? Check it out and see! Invite someone to experience it with you in an online watch party! (If you have no idea what that means, it’s something you can easily do while watching our live service on Facebook. We can help you. Just ask!)
We continue to be Alive Church Online through our various channels and platforms: alivechurch.com, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Roku, and Apple TV. Invite your friends! Share our posts! Let’s get more and more people connected through Alive Church Online!
All of these notes are also in our App. To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE. Let us know if you’d like to have one.