I Deserve This
Taming The Money Monster – Part 1
October 5-6, 2019
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
“’(Jesus)…There is still one thing you haven’t done. Sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.’” Luke 18:22 (p.800)
“No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and be enslaved to money.” Matthew 6:24 (p.737)
- It’s Not About Me.
Characteristics of a Money Monster Tamer:
“Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, ‘I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.’” Hebrews 13:5 (p.928)
“Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth.” 1 Timothy 6:6 (p.912)
“You know the generous grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that by his poverty he could make you rich.” 2 Corinthians 8:9 (p.886)
“Remember this—a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others.” 2 Corinthians 9:6-8 (p.886)
Next Step: _____ I will take the next step on the generosity continuum.
Life Groups Study Questions
Taking the Talk to Another Level
From the Weekend Talk of October 5-6, 2019
Taming the Money Monster, Week 1: I Deserve This!
This is a One Voice Talk Series, which means our kids and youth are also learning the same key Bible verses and main teaching points.
Life Groups use these questions to dig deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Find out more about Life Groups at the Info Center in the lobby or go to alivechurch.com/groups.
Car Questions/Conversation Starters
- What did you learn about money early in life that sticks with you today?
- When have you felt like you deserved something? Name as many TV commercials as you can that tell you that you deserve their product or service?
- What is one material thing in your life you feel you could not live without?
- What would it take for you to give up your most favorite thing in the world?
(Example: cell phone, tablet, car, house….)
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
See the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk.
- Our One Thing to remember from this series is that, “It’s Not About Me.”
- Pastor Jeff used two famous teachings from Jesus to begin to unpack the message: The Rich Young Ruler from Luke 18 (p.800*) and the “Two Masters” teaching from Matthew 6:24 (p.737*).
- How did the young man react when Jesus said, “sell everything and give it to the poor?” What do you think was holding him back?
- When was a time when you felt like you were “serving”, or you were “controlled by” your possessions rather than the other way around?
- Why are “two masters” impossible to serve?
- Jeff then talked about some Characteristics of a Money Monster Tamer.
- #1 is Contentment. (Hebrews 13:5 (p.928*) and 1 Timothy 6:6 (p.912*))
- How do you learn contentment? When have you been the most content?
- Does our culture promote contentment?
- Look at Hebrews 13:5. How much does your faith have to do with contentment?
- When was a time when you had total dependence on God?
- Talk about 1 Timothy 6:6. What does “great wealth” mean?
- When were you NOT contented? What were the circumstances?
- #2 is Generosity. (2 Corinthians 8:9 (p.886*) and 2 Cor. 9:6-8 (p.886*))
- When was a time when you were generous? What happened? How did the other person feel? How did you feel?
- If you feel comfortable talking about it, can you think of a time when you were not as generous as you could have been when you had the chance?
- Talk about the two bible passages.
- What do they tell you about God’s generosity?
- How does Jesus’ “poverty” make you “rich?”
- What does it mean to “give cheerfully?”
- When have you see God “generously provide?”
In what other aspects of life are “Contentment” and “Generosity” important? Take a look at the Bible references below. As you read them, answer these questions:
- What does the passage say about contentment or generosity?
- How can you apply the principle from that passage to your life right now?
James 1:5 (p.930*) — 1 Timothy 1:14 (p.910*) — Matthew 6:21 (p.737*)
Luke 12:16-21 (p.795*) — Proverbs 3:9 (p.482*) — Romans 11:36 (p.866*)
1 Corinthians 10:26 (p.876*) — 1 Chronicles 29:12 (p.332*)
Taking It Home: Next Step
- The Generosity continuum is this:
First Time Giver à Regular Giver à Tither à Extravagant Giver
- Our Next Step This Week: “I will take the next step on the generosity continuum.”
- Pray for one another and the church.
We wrap up our Talk Series: Taming the Money Monster! Come and bring someone with you as we see what God’s Word has to say about not letting money become a monster in your life!
Did you know you can get all of these notes on your digital device? To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977, and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE in the church lobby.