This Is The Cost
This Is Us – Part 2
May 18-19, 2019
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
- The Best Things In Life Cost The Most.
Jesus is teaching us to:
1. Give generously
“While Jesus was in the Temple, he watched the rich people dropping their gifts in the collection box. Then a poor widow came by and dropped in two small coins.” Luke 21:1-2
“Since you excel in so many ways—in your faith, your gifted speakers, your knowledge, your enthusiasm, and your love from us—I want you to excel also in this gracious act of giving.” 2 Corinthians 8:7
2. Give sacrificially
“‘I tell you the truth,’ Jesus said, ‘this poor widow has given more than all the rest of them. For they have given a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she has.’” Luke 21:3-4
“For I can testify that they gave not only what they could afford, but far more. And they did it of their own free will. They begged us again and again for the privilege of sharing in the gift for the believers in Jerusalem.” 2 Corinthians 8:3-4
Final thought: The poor widow gave sacrificially. The others gave recreationally.
Next Step: ____ As a follower of Jesus I choose to live more generously.
Principles To Grow In Generosity:
- Your willingness to give eagerly is more important than the amount you give (2 Corinthians 8:12).
- You should strive to fulfill your financial commitments (2 Corinthians 8:10-11).
- If you give to others in need, they will in turn help you when you are in need (2 Corinthians 8:14).
- You should give out of obedience to Christ, not for selfish benefits (2 Corinthians 9:5b; 2 Corinthians 9:13).
But I’m Flat Broke:
- Ask God to clarify your desires and remove those that are inappropriate.
- Thank God for all that he has already provided.
- Claim God’s promises of provision and help.
- Ask him for wisdom to undertake the tasks he wants you to do.
- Determine what other spiritual needs God might be meeting in your life by not meeting the physical need that seems so pressing.
- Look each day for opportunities to rely on Christ’s power and love.
- Remind yourself out loud that God is in complete control.
4 Decisions For All Regarding Contentment:
“Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth.” 1 Timothy 6:6
- We must focus on what God has already allowed us to have.
- We must disregard what we do not have.
- We must refuse to covet what others may have.
- We must give thanks to God for each and all of his gifts.