Healthy Biblical Relationships
The New Normal – Part 1
August 1-2, 2020
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love, Pastor Steve Tanner
“For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.” Isaiah 43:19 (p.550)
“Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.” Matthew 7:12 (p.738)
- Be The Person God Made Me To Be.
1. Mutual submission.
“…Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.” Ephesians 5:21 (p.898)
2. Husbands love your wives.
“For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her.” Ephesians 5:25 (p.898)
3. Wives respect your husbands.
“For wives, this means submit to your husbands as to the Lord.” Ephesians 5:22 (p.898)
“Each man must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.” Ephesians 5:33 (p.898)
“And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.” Colossians 3:17 (p.904)
Next Step: _____ I will prayerfully find one way to show love and respect to everyone I interact with this week.
Discussion Guide from the Weekend Talk
From the Weekend Talk of August 1-2, 2020
The New Normal – Week 1: Healthy Biblical Relationships
Use this Discussion Guide to dig deeper into the principles from the weekend talk. Our Life Groups use them, but we encourage you to discuss them with your family, or over the phone or online with friends.
Yes, our Life Groups continue to meet, ONLINE! Life Groups use these questions to go deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Please let us know if you would like to join a group. We are also looking for opportunities to begin NEW ONLINE Groups.
- What “new normals” are you experiencing these days? What “old normals” have gone by the wayside?
- As a child did you ever play games or act out scenes where you were pretending to be someone else? Maybe you were a ballplayer or a mountain climber; a cowboy or a ballerina. What were some of your favorite characters to “be” when you played make believe?
- Remember the U.S. Army slogan, “Be all that you can be!”? Do you ever feel like you are not being the person you want to be—or need to be?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk Notes.
- This week Pastors Jeff Love and Steve Tanner highlighted One Thing to remember from this Talk:
“Be The Person God Made Me To Be.” The teaching is appropriate for anyone, but it also has specific relevance for married couples. We all need to be the person God made us to be. That is a principle that crosses the lines of marital status.
- Read Isaiah 43:19 (p.550*) and Matthew 7:12 (p.738*)
- When have you experienced God doing something new in your life?
- Have you ever missed seeing what He was doing only to look back and say, “so THAT’s what God was doing during that time”?
- We have plenty of opportunities to experience “rivers in the dry wasteland” in Arizona! Talk about a time when you felt like you were in a wasteland, but God poured out a river of His grace and blessing in the middle of it.
- Arizona has a license plate option that says, “Live by the Golden Rule.” Do you think most people know where The Golden Rules comes from?
- How would you relate the Golden Rule to a six-year-old child?
- Read Ephesians 5:21-33 (p.898*). From that passage Jeff and Steve discussed Three Fundamentals to help each of us “Be the Person God Made Me To Be.” Note: Fundamentals are the basic pieces to the things we do. For example, even Major League baseball players practice the fundamentals of their game—how to properly field a ball, how to properly swing a bat, etc.—because they know that without attention to proper fundamentals the rest of their skills and actions will suffer.
- Read Isaiah 43:19 (p.550*) and Matthew 7:12 (p.738*)
- Mutual Submission. (Ephesians 5:21)
- What is your first thought when you hear the word “submit?” Why do you think that was your reaction? Is submission a popular term in our culture?
- What does Paul say is the motivating factor for WHY we submit?
- What does “reverence for Christ” mean?
- Husbands Love Your Wives. (Ephesians 5:25, 33)
- How high does Paul set the bar for what he instructs husbands to do?
- What are some examples of ways husbands can love their wives?
- Wives Respect Your Husbands. (Ephesians 5:22, 33 and Colossians 3:17)
- What is respect?
- How can a wife show respect to her husband? What does respect look like in other relationships?
- Who do we represent? How does that work? To whom do we represent Him?
Emerson Eggerichs wrote a book called “Love and Respect. Steve mentioned it in the Talk this weekend. In the book Eggerichs talks about a “Crazy Cycle” that goes like this: She speaks disrespectfully to him, so he speaks unlovingly to her. Or, he treats her in an unloving way, so she disrespects him. In each case the “Crazy Cycle” begins as the circle keeps going around and round.
- Have you ever been there? How do you break this cycle? How do you avoid this cycle?
- How could these scenarios play out in other relationships? Or on social media?
My Next Step: ____ I will prayerfully find one way to show love and respect to everyone I interact with this week.
- Pray for each other and the relationships they are a part of. Pray for love and respect for every relationship.
- This weekend we continue our Talk Series: The New Normal. What if the old normal isn’t normal anymore for you and your family? What if God is trying to get our attention for the new normal? We have to figure out what normal is, according to God.
- We continue to be Alive Church Online through our various channels and platforms: alivechurch.com; Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Roku, and Apple TV. Invite your friends! Share our posts! Let’s get more and more people connected through Alive Church Online!
- Next week we begin sign us for our Fall Life Groups Semester. If you are already in a Group you won’t need to sign up again. If you know people who are not yet in a Group, please encourage them to sign up!
- To see our Re-Entry Plan, go to alivechurch.com and click the link.
- All of these notes are also in our App. To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE. Let us know if you’d like to have one.