What Does It Look Like To Trust God?
Trek – Part 2
September 7-8, 2019
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.” Proverbs 3:5-6 (p.482)
Trust: Putting your confidence in someone you can depend on.
Genesis 37, Genesis 39:1-2
“The Lord was with Joseph, so he succeeded in everything he did as he served in the home of his Egyptian master.” Genesis 39:2 (p.33)
- When You Think You Are Alone, You Can Trust God Is With You.
Ask God to remind me:
- I have a new identity.
“…For he has dressed me with the clothing of salvation and draped me in a robe of righteousness…” Isaiah 61:10 (p.565)
“Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form…” Philippians 2:7 (p.900)
- He will never abandon me.
“The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you.” Romans 8:11a (p.862)
“(The Holy Spirit) lives with you now and later will be in you. No, I will not abandon you.” John 14:17b-18 (p.823)
- Jesus and I are one.
“’(Jesus)…I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.’” John 17:21 (p.825)
“’(Jesus)…Anyone who eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him.’” John 6:56 (p.815)
Next Step: This week I will take a moment alone with God to remember, through communion, that He is with me.
Life Groups Study Questions
Taking the Talk to Another Level
Based on The Weekend Talk from September 7-8, 2019
Trek: An Adventure in Trust, Week 2
What Does it Look Like to Trust God?
This is a One Voice Talk Series, which means our kids and youth are also learning the same key Bible verses and main teaching points.
Life Groups use these questions to dig deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Find out more about Life Groups at the Info Center in the lobby, or go to alivechurch.com/groups.
Car Questions/Conversation Starters
- When have you felt like you were alone?
- When have you experienced a time when you just knew God was with you, even though no one else was?
- Have you ever felt jealous about someone else’s success or because they seemed to be the “teacher’s pet?” What did you do?
- Name some uniforms that you have worn, or have been significant to you.
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
See the Talk Notes from this Weekend’s Talk.
- Jeff talked about HOW you can know that God is with you.
- It starts with “asking God to remind me.” Why is it important to ask God to remind you? How is that different from simply “remembering?”
- What are some of the phrases or statements God uses in the Bible to describe the new identity He has given one who trusts (follows) Him? (See Isaiah 61:10 (p. 565*) and Philippians 2:7 (p. 900*)
- What helps you remember your new identity in Jesus?
- Jeff also reminded us that “(God) will never abandon me.” (See Romans 8:11 (p. 862*) and John 14:17c-18 (p. 823*))
- Have you wondered “where are you, God?” What was the circumstance? How long did you feel that way? What (if anything) helped you move past that feeling?
- The third thing Jeff encouraged us to ask God to remind us of is that “Jesus and I are one.” (See John 17:21 (p. 825*) and John 6:56 (p. 815*))
- How has Jesus changed the way we relate to God? What are your thoughts about being “one” with Jesus?
Look up, read and reflect on a few of these Bible verses that speak to your “New Identity in Christ.” Use the rest for personal study and reflection.
- I am God’s masterpiece – Ephesians 2:10 (p. 896*)
- I am God’s child – John 1:12 (p. 809*)
- I am a new person – 2 Corinthians 5:17 (p. 884*)
- I can boldly approach the Father (God) – Ephesians 3:12 (p. 896*)
- I can do anything He leads me to – Philippians 4:13 (p. 901*)
- I am a friend of God – John 15:15 (p. 824*)
- I am made right with and have peace with God – Romans 5:1 (p. 860*)
- I have been adopted by God – Ephesians 1:5 (p. 995*)
- I have been made complete – Colossians 2:10 (p. 903*)
- I am free from condemnation – Romans 8:1 (p. 862*)
- I am a citizen of Heaven – Philippians 3:20 (p. 901*)
- I am ALIVE! – Ephesians 2:5 (p. 895*)
- I am free from sin and death – Romans 8:2 (p. 862*)
- I am untouchable by Satan – 1 John 5:18 (p. 944*)
- I have understanding because I have the mind of Christ – 1 Corinthians 2:16 (p. 871*)
- I have a new nature to be like Him – Colossians 3:10 (p. 903*)
- I have been born again into eternal life – 1 Peter 1:23 (p. 934*)
- I am an heir of God’s glory – Romans 8:17 (p. 862*)
- I can overcome and not be afraid of death – Revelation 12:11 (p. 956*)
- I am greatly loved by God and rich in His mercy – Ephesians 2:4 (p. 895*)
Taking It Home
- Our Next Step from the Talk is: “This week I will take a moment alone with God to remember, through communion, that He is with me”
- Now let’s remember that God is with me by celebrating Communion together as a group.
- Pray for one another in your Group to intentionally live out the Next Step.
Our Talk Series: Trek: An Adventure in Trust continues! Each week of the Series we’ll have some fun prize giveaways, so here’s a tip: GET OUR APP! Just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number, 77977, and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible, which is the New Living Translation of the Bible including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE in the church lobby.