Trek – Part 4
September 21-22, 2019
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.” Proverbs 3:5-6 (p.482*)
- When The Pressure Is On, You Can Trust God Is With You.
- Expect setbacks.
“Two full years later, Pharaoh dreamed that he was standing on the bank of the Nile River… Finally, the king’s chief cup-bearer spoke up. ‘Today I have been reminded of my failure.’” Genesis 41:1,9 (p.34*)
“’(Jesus)…I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.’” John 16:33 (p.825*)
- Continue to grow.
“Pharaoh sent for Joseph at once, and he was quickly brought from the prison. After he shaved and changed his clothes, he went in and stood before Pharaoh.” Genesis 41:14 (p.34*)
“Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.” James 1:2-4 (p.930*)
- Know His Word, speak His Word.
“’It is beyond my power to do this,’ Joseph replied. ‘But God can tell you what it means and set you at ease’… ‘Both of Pharaoh’s dreams mean the same thing. God is telling Pharaoh in advance what he is about to do.” Genesis 41:16,25 (p.34-35*)
“The words I speak are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me.” John 14:10b (p.823*)
“Just say what God tells you at that time, for it is not you who will be speaking, but the Holy Spirit.” Mark 13:11b (p.774*)
Next Step: I will trust God with __________________ by doing ___________________.
Life Groups Study Questions
Taking the Talk to Another Level
From the Weekend Talk of September 21-22, 2019
Trek: An Adventure in Trust, Week 4
This is a One Voice Talk Series, which means our kids and youth are also learning the same key Bible verses and main teaching points.
Life Groups use these questions to dig deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Find out more about Life Groups at the Info Center in the lobby, or go to alivechurch.com/groups.
Car Questions/Conversation Starters
- Is there something hard for you that you can trust God with right now?
- When have you trusted God when the pressure was on?
- Have you ever tried to do something on your own, figured out you couldn’t do it, so you finally trusted God to help you? What happened?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
See the Talk Notes from this Weekend’s Talk.
- Jeff’s One Thing for us this weekend was, “When the pressure is on, you can trust God is with you.”
- What are some ways we experience “pressure” in our lives?
- Why is it important to “expect setbacks?”
- What were some setbacks Joseph experienced? What did Jesus say about setbacks?
- How do you “continue to grow?”
- What practical steps can you take to grow? How do “troubles” help us grow? (see James 1:2-4 (p. 930*)).
- How do you “Know His Word?”
- What are some ways you can, in everyday life, “Speak His Word?”
- Talk about a time when you truly felt like it was the Holy Spirit who was “speaking” for you rather than you speaking on your own? (Note: this need not be some dramatic experience, but perhaps you sensed it in a quiet, almost unnoticed way.)
Take a look at as many of the following Bible references as you can. As you read each one, answer these questions:
- What does the passage say about trusting God?
- How can you apply the principle from that passage to your life right now?
- Daniel 6:16-23 (p. 673*)
- Joshua 1:8-9 (p. 669*)
- Psalm 9:7-11 (p. 417*)
- Psalm 20:7 (p. 422*)
- John 14:1-3 (p. 823*)
- 1 John 4:13-16 (p. 943*)
- Romans 12:2 (p. 866*)
- Hebrews 13:8 (p. 928*)
- James 1:2-6 (p. 930*)
- Matthew 6:26-27 (p. 737*)
Taking It Home: Next Step
Read James 1:22-25
- Our Next Step This Week: “I will trust God with _________________ by doing ___________________.”
- Talk about how you plan to lean into this week’s Next Step.
- Pray for one another in your Group to intentionally live out the Next Step.
- Other Prayer Requests:
Our Talk Series: Trek: An Adventure in Trust wraps up this coming weekend. So it’s your final opportunity for some fun prize giveaways. Here’s a tip: GET OUR APP! Just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number, 77977, and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE in the church lobby.