Trek – Part 5
September 28-29, 2019
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
“’(Pharaoh)… You will be in charge of my court, and all my people will take orders from you. Only I, sitting on my throne, will have a rank higher than yours.’” Genesis 41:40 (p.35)
- You Can Trust God Has A Plan.
“One night Joseph had a dream…” Genesis 37:5 (p.31)
“He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” Ephesians 2:10 (p.896)
- Remember a setback doesn’t mean a wrong turn.
“’(Joseph)… It was God who sent me here ahead of you to preserve your lives.’” Genesis 45:5 (p.38)
“The Lord will work out his plans for my life…” Psalm 138:8 (p.476)
- Resist becoming frustrated and fearful.
“’(Joseph)… You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people.’” Genesis 50:20 (p.43)
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.” Proverbs 3:5-6 (p.482)
- Resolve to live in obedience.
“’No, don’t be afraid. I will continue to take care of you and your children.’ So he reassured them by speaking kindly to them.” Genesis 50:21 (p.43)
“’(Jesus)… Even if that person wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks forgiveness, you must forgive.’” Luke 17:4 (p.799)
- Rest in Jesus.
“’(Jesus)… Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.’” Matthew 11:28 (p.742)
Next Step: _____ (Pray daily) Lord I trust you have a plan. You are able to do what I cannot do. You are able to bring breakthrough in my life and help in the most difficult of circumstances.
Life Groups Study Questions
Taking the Talk to Another Level
From the Weekend Talk of September 28-29, 2019
Trek: An Adventure in Trust, Week 5
This is a One Voice Talk Series, which means our kids and youth are also learning the same key Bible verses and main teaching points.
Life Groups use these questions to dig deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Find out more about Life Groups at the Info Center in the lobby, or go to alivechurch.com/groups.
Car Questions/Conversation Starters
- Are you the kind of person who likes to plan things or just go with the flow?
- How do you feel when your plans don’t go the way you thought they would?
- Do you think God has a plan for you? Why or why not?
- What does it look like to have trust in God’s plan for your life?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
See the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk.
- Jeff’s One Thing from the Talk was, “You Can Trust God Has a Plan.”
- How did Joseph know God had a plan for him? What did Joseph do with that plan?
- When have you experienced a setback that seemed devastating at the time, but it actually turned out to be a kind of “blessing in disguise?”
- Read Psalm 138:8. How have you seen the Lord “work out His plans” in your life?
- How do you resist becoming frustrated and fearful? When have you had to do that?
- Have you ever resolved to do something? When have you had the most success with a resolution? What practical steps helped you?
- How does forgiveness have anything to do with living in obedience?
- Could you have done what Joseph did—forgive his brothers?
- What does it mean to you to “rest in Jesus?” What does that look like?
- What do you find to be restful? How do you get refreshed?
- Does knowing God has a plan for you change how you see the challenges you face? How so?
Take a look at as many of the following Bible references as you can. As you read each one, answer these questions:
- What does the passage say about trusting God’s Plan for your life?
- How can you apply the principle from that passage to your life right now?
Taking It Home: Next Step
Read Proverbs 3:5-6 together with your Group.
- Our Next Step This Week: Pray this prayer every day: “Lord I trust You have a plan. You are able to do what I cannot do, You are able to bring breakthrough in my life and help in the most difficult of circumstances.”
- Read the “Next Step” prayer together as a Group and ask God to help you embrace what it says about your relationship with Him.
- Other Prayer Requests:
We begin a New Talk Series: Taming the Money Monster! Come and bring someone with you as we see what God’s Word has to say about not letting money become a monster in your life!
Did you know you can get all of these notes on your digital device? To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE in the church lobby.