Unexpected – Week 2
April 4-5, 2020
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
“But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.” Isaiah 53:5 (NIV)
“…Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame.” Hebrews 12:2 (p.927)
- Jesus Endured The Cross So I Don’t Have To.
“Then Jesus uttered another loud cry and breathed his last. And the curtain in the sanctuary of the Temple was torn in two, from top to bottom.” Mark 15:37-38 (p.777)
- Recognize my sin.
“For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. Yet God, in his grace, freely makes us right in his sight. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins.” Romans 3:23-24 (p.927)
When the Roman officer who stood facing him saw how he had died, he exclaimed, ‘This man truly was the Son of God!’” Mark 15:39 (p.777)
- Run with endurance.
“…And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.” Hebrews 12:1-2 (p.927)
“And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.” Romans 5:4 (p.860)
Series Key Verse:
“And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” Romans 8:28 (p.863)
Next Step: I will read the Daily Reading and the Daily Study from the Life Transformation Bible: New Life (p. A12-13).
Discussion Guide from the Weekend Talk
From the Weekend Talk of April 4-5, 2020
Unexpected, Part 2
Use this Discussion Guide to dig deeper into the principles from Weekend Talk. Our Life Groups will use them, but we encourage you to discuss them with your family, or over the phone or online with friends.
Yes, our Life Groups continue to meet, ONLINE! Life Groups use these questions to go deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Please let us know if you would like to join a group. We are also looking for opportunities to begin NEW ONLINE Groups.
Car Questions/Conversation Starters
- When has someone done something nice for you that you didn’t deserve? How did it make you feel?
- When have you done something nice for someone that THEY didn’t deserve? How did they respond?
- Share some examples of people you know who have sacrificed for you or others.
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk Notes.
- Pastors Jeff Love and Steve Tanner highlighted One Thing to remember from this Talk:
“Jesus Endured The Cross So I Don’t Have To.”
- Read Isaiah 53:5 (p.559*), Hebrews 12:2 (p.927*) and Mark 15:37-38 (p.777*).
- What stands out to you from these passages?
- What is “the joy” that Hebrews is talking about?
- Why is the “torn curtain” so significant? What is the significance of us having direct access to God? In your life have you ever felt like you had to go through “holy people” to have access to God?
- Jeff and Steve had two points to help us experience the freedom found in Jesus’ sacrifice for us on the Cross.
(1) 1. Recognize my sin. (Romans 3:23-24 (p.927*) and Mark 15:39 (p.777))
- What hard truths and what amazing grace do you see in these passages?
- Why is it necessary to recognize your sin?
- (Note for further study: Romans 3:23 is the first part of what is known as The Roman Road for Faith in Jesus. Other verses included in this “roadmap” are Romans 6:23 (p.861*), Romans 5:8 (p.860*), and Romans 10:9-10 (p.864*))
(2) 2. Run with endurance. (Hebrews 12:1-2 (p.927*), and Romans 5:4 (p.860*))
- Talk about the difference between an endurance runner (like a marathon runner) or an endurance race (like the 24 hours of Le Mans). Compare a sprinter to a drag race.
- What characteristics do each of these need to have endurance?
- Steve mentioned that “the race God has set before us” is an indication of the purpose He has for our lives. What do you think about that? Do you know what your purpose is in life? Has it changed through the years?
- What gives us the power to endure?
- Jeff and Steve read through a narrative that described the suffering that Jesus endured. When you consider what He went through for you, what does it say about His desire to have a relationship with you?
- Read through some of the biblical historical narratives regarding what Jesus suffered. Take turns reading in your Zoom meeting, and then stop after each portion of reading to pray and thank God for enduring that suffering and going to the Cross so you don’t have to!
- Matthew 27 (p.759*)
- Mark 15 (p.777*)
- Luke 23 (p.806*)
- John 19 (p.827*)
Taking It Home: Next Step
- My Next Step: I will read the Daily Reading and the Daily Study from the Life Transformation Bible:
New Life (p. A12-13). And remember, the Kids and Students ALSO have Discipleship Readings! What a great “in home” activity for your family!
- Pray now for those in leadership in our country, state, community and church. And pray for one another, the Church, and Alive Church. Pray for unity and community in these unusual times.
This Friday is Good Friday and we are planning a meaningful service to remember the event of Jesus going to the Cross. This weekend (April 4-5) is Easter Weekend! We will continue to be Alive Church Online through our various channels and platforms: alivechurch.com; Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Roku, and Apple TV. Invite your friends, share our posts, and continue to help people stay connected through Alive Church Online!
All of these notes are also in our App. To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE in the church lobby.