He Is Risen
Unexpected – Week 3
April 11-12, 2020
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love, Cody Kiwaczyk, Sheri Marsden, and Steve Tanner
“But in fact, Christ has been raised from the dead. He is the first of a great harvest of all who have died.” 1 Corinthians 15:20 (p.880)
“’He isn’t here! He is risen from the dead! Remember what he told you back in Galilee’” Luke 24:6 (p.807)
- Because of Jesus’ Resurrection I live.
“When Jesus had tasted it, he said, ‘It is finished!’ Then he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.” John 19:30 (p.827)
“The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you. And just as God raised Christ Jesus from the dead, he will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit living within you.” Romans 8:11 (p.862)
- With Hope
“I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13 (p.868)
Series Key Verse:
“And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” Romans 8:28 (p.863)
Next Step: I will live in the forgiveness, power and hope that Jesus’ Resurrection brings by listing one way it has changed my past, present or future each day.
Discussion Guide from the Weekend Talk
From the Weekend Talk of April 11-12, 2020
Unexpected, Part 3 – Easter
Use this Discussion Guide to dig deeper into the principles from the Weekend Talk. Our Life Groups will use them, but we encourage you to discuss them with your family, or over the phone or online with friends.
Yes, our Life Groups continue to meet, ONLINE! Life Groups use these questions to go deeper into what we talked about this weekend. Dig into them so you will be ready for the discussion at your Life Group. Please let us know if you would like to join a group. We are also looking for opportunities to begin NEW ONLINE Groups.
Car Questions/Conversation Starters
- Do you prefer solid or hollow chocolate bunnies?
- What are some of your family’s Easter traditions, recent or when you were growing up?
- How was Easter different for your family this year?
- What was your favorite thing about your Easter celebration this year?
- Looking back at your Talk Notes, was there anything you heard in the service that stood out or maybe even confused you?
Discussion Starters from the Weekend Talk
Refer to the Talk Notes and related Bible verses from this Weekend’s Talk Notes.
- This week’s speaking team of Pastors (Jeff Love, Steve Tanner, Sheri Marsden, and Cody Kiwaczyk) highlighted One Thing to remember from this talk: “Because of Jesus’ Resurrection I Live”
- Read Luke 23:55 – 24:12 (p.802*).
- Talk about what is described in this passage.
- What stands out to you? Who were the two men “clothed in dazzling robes?”
- Why did the disciples (including the women mentioned) need reminding about what Jesus had told them? What is significant about the fact that Jesus had told them about this?
- The Team then unpacked three aspects of what “live” means in the context of our past, present and future:
- Read Luke 23:55 – 24:12 (p.802*).
(1) Because of Jesus’ Resurrection I Live FORGIVEN. (John 19:28-30 (p.827*))
- Cody leaned into the Greek word “tetelestai” (“it is finished”): Jesus’ last words on the Cross.
- Why is it significant that the “perfect tense” of this word, as Jesus spoke it, matters?
- What did your life look like before you experienced God’s forgiveness?
- Who do you know that needs to experience God’s forgiveness?
(2) Because of Jesus’ Resurrection I Live EMPOWERED. (Romans 8:10-17 (p.862*))
- Sheri highlighted verse 11 as being particularly meaningful to her. Do you have a story of a time when you were keenly aware of God’s power in your life?
- What does the Power of the Spirit mean for our lives? What difference should it make?
- What about this passage speaks of our relationship with God? How does His power fit in with His desire for a relationship with us?
(3) Because of Jesus’ Resurrection I Live WITH HOPE. (Romans 15:8-13 (p.868*))
- Have you ever felt hopeless? Do you know anyone today that is going through a season of hopelessness, whether it’s related to coronavirus or not?
- What makes the hope described in the Bible different from “wishful thinking?”
- Read Romans 15:13 together. Who is the source of our hope? What does Paul pray for God to do in the lives of the Roman believers—and, therefore us, as well—to whom he writes?
- When you pray together today, consider praying this verse over each other in your group.
- Read through some of the biblical historical narratives regarding the resurrection of Jesus.
- Matthew 28:1-18 (p.759*)
- Mark 16:1-11 (p.777*)
- Luke 24:1-12 (p.806*)
- John 20:1-18 (p.827*)
- What are some of the things that stand out to you?
- Why was the stone rolled away from the tomb?
- Who were those guys in gleaming white clothes?
- Why is it significant to realize just who it was who first discovered the empty tomb?
Taking It Home: Next Step
- My Next Step: I will live in the forgiveness, power and hope that Jesus’ Resurrection brings by listing one way it has changed my past, present or future each day.
- Pray now for those in leadership in our country, state, community and church. And pray for one another, the Church, and Alive Church. Pray for unity and community in these unusual times.
This weekend we begin a new series: Stand Firm. During this crisis, it’s time to Stand Firm for the challenges ahead as we learn what it means to live in God’s Power by putting on God’s Armor. We’re in a battle, so we need to Stand Firm against the enemy’s lies and tricks. This series discusses each individual piece of armor and how it can relate to our everyday lives as followers of Jesus. Being properly equipped for spiritual battle has never been more important than it is now.
We will continue to be Alive Church Online through our various channels and platforms: alivechurch.com; Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Roku, and Apple TV. Invite your friends! Share our posts! Let’s get more and more people connected through Alive Church Online!
All of these notes are also in our App. To get our FREE App just text “ALIVEAZ APP” to this number: 77977 and follow the instructions. If you need help, we’ll help you!
* The Life Transformation Bible is the New Living Translation of the Bible, including many useful tools to help you better understand God’s Word, including our own Alive Church Life Transformation Discipleship Plan. They are available FREE. Let us know if you’d like to have one.