26 Aug Serve | Life On Mission – Part 3
August 25 and 26, 2018 | Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
Life On Mission – Part 3
August 25th & 26th, 2018
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Love
“‘(Jesus)…Love your neighbor as yourself.’” Matthew 22:39
“For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Mark 10:45
“There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” John 15:13
- Serving Is Pouring From My Cup, Not Filling Someone Else’s.
“Then a despised Samaritan came along, and when he saw the man, he felt compassion for him.” Luke 10:33
Greek: Splagchnon (splangkh’-non) – to hurt so much that you are moved to action.
“Moved with compassion, Jesus reached out and touched him. ‘I am willing,’ he said. ‘Be healed!’” Mark 1:41
“What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, and you say, ‘Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well’—but then you don’t give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do? So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.” James 2:14-17
My Next Step This Week: ___ I will pour from my cup by serving someone who is “In My ‘Hood”.
- Share a story (funny or not so funny), about a time that you moved to a new home. Did your friends step up or did they make excuses? Did all your belongings arrive in one piece?
- Read Luke 10:30-37. How do you typically respond to interruptions or inconveniences? Has there been a time in your life when you let the comfort and conveniences of your daily routine stop you from meeting a need?
- Think of a time when you were willing to step out of your comfort zone and meet a need. How did you show God’s love and kindness through your actions?
- In order to introduce people to Jesus, we have to genuinely love them – we need to make them not just friends but family. What steps are you taking (or do you want to take) to love people in this way?